Santa needs help asap!

TortMama88

My daughter asked Santa to bring to hatchling tortoises for Christmas. Santa was able to get two sulcatas. They are quite small. Both can fit in my hand. One seems to be very sluggish and not eating very well. I have not seen him eat in about 2 days. He seems to lay his head on the sand a lot and not move very much. I so Kim in water and there is a daytime lamp and a nighttime black heating lamp in the enclosure. There is also a little cave type thing for them to hide in. I'm pretty new at this and could use some advice please. Thank you for your help. Hohoho!

TortMama88

My daughter asked Santa to bring to hatchling tortoises for Christmas. Santa was able to get to the cottage. They are quite small. Both consent in my hand. One seems to be very sluggish and not eating very well. I have not seen him eat in about 2 days. He seems to lay his head on the sand a lot and not move very much. I so Kim in water and there is a daytime lamp and a nighttime black heating lamp in the enclosure. There is also a little cave type thing for them to hide in. I'm pretty new at this and could use some advice please. Thank you for your help. Hohoho!

Also it is not a sand only substrate. It is a coconut coir and sand mixture

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm a newbie and no expert (especially on sulcatas), but I'll offer you some basic advice that I hope will help - but first, what time did you get the tortoises? It can take time for a tortoise to settle into a new home, and this may prevent eating or activity. But if it has been over a few days or a week since, you may have the wrong needs for the tortoise. How are the humidity levels and what are you feeding the sulcata? Their enclosure also needs to be big enough - the bigger the better - so they can roam freely. Are you keeping them in a table or viv?
Also, tortoises don't tend to be best in pairs, so perhaps the other tortoise feels intimidated / distressed by the other one. I don't know if this is a solid theory, but it happens.
Try moistening the substrate (damp, not very wet) and making sure the temps are right (although I've heard sulcatas can cope surprisingly well with varied temperatures, they're hatchlings so they are particularly vulnerable). Are they drinking? Hatchlings need lots of hydration besides their daily bathing.
If the other is eating normally and activity levels are good, then perhaps it's just a matter of settling in. Make sure both tortoises are given the same amount of care, and try not to handle them too often unless bathing them or putting them outside, as it tends to stress them out.
The best of luck with your new tortoises, and I hope your daughter enjoys them!
*please note that my advice is based generally on information I know about tortoises and is solid in that respect, but may not directly apply to sulcatas or be based on a sulcata's needs.
Merry Christmas,
Olivia

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Perry don't usually work out you're seeing the evidence of this. I would separate them tortoises don't need another tortoise they preferred to B alone.

TortMama88

Perry don't usually work out you're seeing the evidence of this. I would separate them tortoises don't need another tortoise they preferred to B alone.

Temps range from 70 to 80 degrees depending on whether or not the black light is on. Humidity is running about 30%. The second tortoise seems to be doing fine

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Temps range from 70 to 80 degrees depending on whether or not the black light is on. Humidity is running about 30%. The second tortoise seems to be doing fine

You're temperatures are much too cool for hatchling sulcatas. Your humidity is also too low, but I would get your temperatures up before raising the humidity. 80F should be your low. Your babies aren't able to digest their food with the temperatures you're keeping them at. You need to bump your temps ASAP.

Good advice here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index....ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please be sure to read the pinned threads shown at the top of the Sulcata section.

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
Try separating them once they've developed a bit more - I'm sure your daughter will understand if she's researched the torts (which is vital in owning them).
Like TortMama88 said, there's a problem with your temps which is likely to be the dilemma, both light and humidity. Raise them and there's bound to be good results. The lack of activity might be due to low energy levels as minimum should be around 80 degrees Fahrenheit, not maximum. Without this, the hatchlings will struggle to digest any food, which might even be why the other tort isn't eating as their stomach is full.
Good luck. :)

Last edited:

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Hello. Welcome, yea temp no lower then 80. You will need to get a uva or b bulb it helps them use the calcium that your suppose to be giving. That will die a horrible death if you don't give them the calcium and light they need. Please read up on this issue. This is a wonderful place for information and help. And just a note high humidity and low temps make a sick tort. I hope you and your babies will be fine. Good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. They need to be separated.
2. You should be using no sand.
3. The temps should not drop below 80.

Here is all the info in one place:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Please read these and make the necessary changes ASAP. Babies have a small margin of error and they will not survive incorrect housing for very long.