Heating Needs

NokaNoka

Our two sulcatas came with a UV light and a basking lamp with a red bulb. The basking lamp is the only heat source they came with. We've been able to maintain a basking temp of 85 - 100*F, and the cooler side of the habitat is at least 70*F.

I've been reading about CHEs and my head is spinning. As of now, they're housed in an aquarium (I think 50-gallon). I'll be building a tortoise table within the next few months, but I'm unsure of what heating sources we really need.

Is a CHE necessary for ambient temps, or are there other options heating options?

Also, nighttime temps should generally be a bit cooler than daytime, correct? Last night they slept directly under the basking lamp, so perhaps they're used to it, but I'm not sure if it's best for them to do so.

And what about humidity? I'm picking up a temp/humidity thermometer tomorrow as the one they came with only shows temp. But how can I maintain humidity for them? Do CHEs help with that?

I appreciate all of the help!!

NokaNoka

Thanks, @wellington. I've read that thread a few times today, but I think I'm starting to understand.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding a CHE with a thermostat, though. I've no trouble finding thermostats, but where can I get a CHE? Would Home Depot have them, or does it need to be bought from a pet store?

ETA: Is this what I need?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006OATSYY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I'm having trouble understanding the difference between that and an infrared bulb.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely a 250 will be too high. However, if you put it on a thermostat t won't matter. Just be are the thermostat will except the wattage

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Btw, it is a lot to take in. Most of us have been there, so we understand. Re-read and ask questions. We are always willing to help

NokaNoka

If I can only afford the CHE at the moment, is that alright? Or would it be best to wait until I can get both the CHE and the thermostat?

I do have a thermometer with a probe, so I'd be able to monitor the temps. It'd be difficult at night, though, obviously.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
If I can only afford the CHE at the moment, is that alright? Or would it be best to wait until I can get both the CHE and the thermostat?

I do have a thermometer with a probe, so I'd be able to monitor the temps. It'd be difficult at night, though, obviously.
You run the risk of overheating without a thermostat. It is important, especially if you're keeping the humidity at 80% like you should, though that you can keep the temps above 80F.