Looking for a home for our tortoise Clyde

Florence Melzak

Hello everyone ,
My name is Florence and I live in California ( Santa Monica ) I have had a male tortoise Clyde for about 15 years and we took the best of him and love him very much . I think he was about 10 or 15 years when we adopted him . My husband and I are getting divorced and we sold our home in Malibu . I moved into a town house and obviously could not take him . I have a sister in Palos verses that offered to take him and he has been there for about 1 year but now she is also moving so I am desperately looking for a good home for him . Could anyone help me .? I have contacted the Ojai tortoise rescue but they don't have any room . he is very healthy and sleep in a doghouse with a heat lamp and thermostat .
He eats well and is beautiful .
Thank you ....

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hello everyone ,
My name is Florence and I live in California ( Santa Monica ) I have had a male tortoise Clyde for about 15 years and we took the best of him and love him very much . I think he was about 10 or 15 years when we adopted him . My husband and I are getting divorced and we sold our home in Malibu . I moved into a town house and obviously could not take him . I have a sister in Palos verses that offered to take him and he has been there for about 1 year but now she is also moving so I am desperately looking for a good home for him . Could anyone help me .? I have contacted the Ojai tortoise rescue but they don't have any room . he is very healthy and sleep in a doghouse with a heat lamp and thermostat .
He eats well and is beautiful .
Thank you ....

What kind of tortoise is he? Can you provide a picture of him here? How many pounds does he weigh? So, he's about 30 years old? This will help in placing him here. Sorry to read all the bad news and wish you the best.

Last edited:

Florence Melzak

He is a sulcata tortoise . I will post pics as soon as i find some . he is about 30 yes and he weights 50 pounds .

Rue

Canada
Sounds like a fun road trip! Do tortoises like car rides? :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I took a six hour road trip to get my sulcatas . Well it was a three hour drive one way . I just stopped at every rest stop and cleaned the poop out of the travel box .

Rue

Canada
Anyone ever try diapers?

I have transported horses. I have traveled with dogs, cats, fish and birds - including a really angry parrot one time (short drive) and a box of teenage chickens in the backseat because it was too cold in the box of the truck (that was a 6 hour drive). Anyone have any idea what a box of teenage chickens smell like?

I 'd be game to try a tortoise.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Anyone ever try diapers?

I have transported horses. I have traveled with dogs, cats, fish and birds - including a really angry parrot one time (short drive) and a box of teenage chickens in the backseat because it was too cold in the box of the truck (that was a 6 hour drive). Anyone have any idea what a box of teenage chickens smell like?

I 'd be game to try a tortoise.
Remember, it's an extremely stressful event for this poor tortoise. Eight hours one way is gonna be real tough for him. I'd recommend finding someone closer to adopt if you can find one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I operate a turtle and tortoise rescue in Clovis, CA. I'd be willing to find him a new home here in my area, however, I don't travel. If you could bring him here, I'd be happy to take him.

Rue

Canada
It's stressful for most animals. Some dogs enjoy car rides. Some do not. I have two dogs (out of 3) who hate the car and are just miserable every time we go anywhere. Some horses come to enjoy travelling in the stock trailer.

All I'm saying is that 8 hours is doable. Especially if it's for a good home. I'd rather transport 8 hours to a good home than 30 minutes to a questionable one just for the sake of saving on travel time.