Salad Style Hay

shaferar

5 Year Member
I have two Russian tortoises (one adult and one 2 month old). Should I be mixing salad style hay into all of their regular greens? I have only been using a variety of organic grocery store greens but didn't know if I should add the salad style hay as well.

Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can try it, however, Russians really don't care much for grass type plants, preferring the broad-leaf type plants and weeds. But if he'll eat it, that's good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Salad style hay is one way to add some fiber to the grocery store greens. You can also use a soaked ZooMed Grassland tortoise pellet or Mazuri.

shaferar

5 Year Member
Thank you for your reply. I will try and get some Mazuri. I've heard good things about it.

Quick question: I keep my Russians in coconut coir. I have been advised not to feed them inside their tank because they then risk ingesting some of the dirt. I cannot get my new baby to eat anything and am wondering if taking him out of the tank (away from the heat source) is causing him to not eat. My adult will never turn down food but the baby isn't eating anything. Should I put a food dish into their tank so they can eat under their lights? I am just worried about them bringing dirt into their food.

Thank you again!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for your reply. I will try and get some Mazuri. I've heard good things about it.

Quick question: I keep my Russians in coconut coir. I have been advised not to feed them inside their tank because they then risk ingesting some of the dirt. I cannot get my new baby to eat anything and am wondering if taking him out of the tank (away from the heat source) is causing him to not eat. My adult will never turn down food but the baby isn't eating anything. Should I put a food dish into their tank so they can eat under their lights? I am just worried about them bringing dirt into their food.

Thank you again!!

You should feed them in their enclosures. Put the food on a piece of slate, a plastic lid or into a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate to minimize substrate ingestion. They will still accidentally eat a little, but it will pass.

By the way, I didn't ask, but you are housing them separately, right? If not the baby is probably too stressed and in fear for its life to eat.