Hay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Everyone :)
I have a little question concerning hay.
I just received the Hay salad style mix (choped hay) from Carolina pet supply. I want to put a small pile in Hermy and Popcorn enclosure. They have the same substrate, Aspen. My problem is I do not know how to put the Hay pile since it is chopped (I do not like the idea of putting the hay on the aspen because the pieces are so small, I do not want Hermy to eat some aspen thinking it is hay).
Should I put them on a ceramic tile? or in a terracota dish? Any ideas are welcomed :)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would just put on the tile how do you normally feed them?

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I would think you want something like the terra cotta saucer with a lip on it unless you want it all over the enclosure.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Usually I feed them on a tile, but the thing is I want them to bury in it if they want to, and eat it if they want too. Popcorn is going to be 8 months so his mouth is so tinny, I do not know if he will try it.

I just want to put a small pile (the size of 1 or 2 grapefruits).

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Well if you want them to burrow in it, then it is gonna end up all over your aspen sustrate anyway, so you might as well just pile it up in their hide.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
prob too young to eat much hay. but I would dampen the greens, place in a baggie with the hay, shake, and the feed. that way he wiil get used to eating hay.. and it will stick to the greens..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do the Hermanns eat hay? The Russians don't.

I put a little of the Salad Style Hay in a small bowl and put some water on it. After a few minutes, I pick it out and sprinkle it over the tortoise's food.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hermy already took a bite or 2 and he seemed to like it (not too much but just enoug lol). I had to remove it because the one I was buying had too much dust in it, the poor little guy was sneezing. I remember he would just hide in it and taste it everytime he would hide in it lol (I want to be sure this time that it is good, that is why I bought the one from Carolina pet supply :D) My vet told me to put a pile in the enclosure and leave it there during the winter because if he wants a bite, he has the option (and he would eat vitamins he does not get in the greens I am offering him during the winter, even if I feed him fresh wheat grass that I am making grow in the enclosure).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, I made a mistake and bought a bag of cut up hay from Oxbow and it was terribly dirty. The stuff from Carolina Pet Supply is fresher and cleaner, but I still swish it around in a bowl of water before feeding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.