facilitate poop (feces) methods? soak temperature? fiber?

Hermann Hermit

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi Everyone,

Most grateful if you could share some thoughts on facilitating poop of hatching.

In addition to soak, anything else we can do to facilitate poop?
What is normal frequency of poop?
What temperature of soak water do you usually provide?

My baby Hermann tortoise Royal (1 year old) has less frequency of poop than in the past. Before her brother's death, Royal pooped every two days, but now less frequency. The poop is solid black 1 cm long. Her urate looks normal liquid with white dots. I asked doctors in Animal Medical Center methods to facilitate poop. They suggest 1) soak every day not too warm not too cold water 2) eat more fiber greens like kale and Oxbow hay salad style.

However, I am not sure what is right temperature for soaking water. Also, when I checked Oxbow hay in Amazon, it seems the hay was designed for rabbits. Anyone knows if Oxbow hay has soem "salad style" hay suitable for hermann's tortoise?

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Could it be ill? (You said you had another that died.)
Does she drink and eat normally?
Try some cucumber. Cucumber makes them poop. It's a natural laxative with its high moisture content.
Also any greens high in fiber can work. Hay was suggested because grass is high in fiber but hay is tough and I believe you said Royal is a year old. So it might be hard to chew any hay. Also, Hermann's dont usually eat grass as part of their regular diet either. Usually when i feel like my torts poop is looking a little hard, ill provide more grass from the seed mix i've been growing but cut them up really small and add water so it sticks on their food. This usually helps.
But as Zeropilot mentioned, cucumbers work, anything high in water content. Succulents work also.

Hermann Hermit

New York
@ZEROPILOT @Linhdan Nguyen thanks so much for your advice!

I definitely will try cucumber! Yes, I am also cutting home-grown grass smaller and add water. Very helpful tips!

Linhdan, what kind of succulent plants have you used? I mean, cactus, aloe vera etc?

Royal is getting better today (mom feels a bit relief=). He eats and drinks normally (actually, I soak him daily and watch him drink). The main problem is less walk... The doctors from two centers suspend metabolic bone disease due to lack calcium. I am trying to correct it with doctors and Royal herself is making great efforts to recover as happy healthy baby.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Thats great to hear :)
Right now i give them aloe and sedum (broadleaf stonecrop)
I know opuntia cactus is a popular one among forum members but i have not bought any yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Always inspect the underside of the tortoise to look for poop build-up around the tail. This sometimes occurs in baby tortoises and eventually the stuck on poop makes it so the baby can't poop anymore.