Safely feeding sulcata hatchling

Erika Helberg

Location (City and/or State)
El sobrante , ca
Hello I'm a new sulcata owner. Curious to how others identify safe weeds to feed their babies.
Also how long after purchasing and replanting a plant do you waot to feed it.?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello I'm a new sulcata owner. Curious to how others identify safe weeds to feed their babies.
Also how long after purchasing and replanting a plant do you waot to feed it.?
I look them up online, post pictures in the plant ID section here on the forum, and sometimes take samples in to my local nursery for the local "plant nerd" to help me ID them all.

Decorative plants purchased at any nursery are grown with systemic pesticides to keep them looking pretty and bug free for market. It can take a full year for these toxins to dissipate to safe levels. Best to grow your own from cuttings or from seed.

Most care info given for sulcatas is wrong and based on 30 year old incorrect assumptions about how they live in the wild. Here is the correct care info. Please feel free to ask questions after reading it: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/t...leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/#post-1814413

Erika Helberg

El sobrante , ca
I look them up online, post pictures in the plant ID section here on the forum, and sometimes take samples in to my local nursery for the local "plant nerd" to help me ID them all.

Decorative plants purchased at any nursery are grown with systemic pesticides to keep them looking pretty and bug free for market. It can take a full year for these toxins to dissipate to safe levels. Best to grow your own from cuttings or from seed.

Most care info given for sulcatas is wrong and based on 30 year old incorrect assumptions about how they live in the wild. Here is the correct care info. Please feel free to ask questions after reading it: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/t...leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/#post-1814413
Thank you.
This was very informative.