Desert Tortoise Feeding Schedule

Jc8820

Location (City and/or State)
NV
Hello! New tortoise owner here :) My family just got 2 desert tortoises (both are a little over 1 year old) and I was wondering for advice on how often they should be eating? We feed them once a day but I want to make sure that is 100% correct and not underfeeding. Any help is appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Once a day is fine. Feed them enough so it last all day. Tortoises will graze throughout the day.
Did anyone tell you that tortoises should not be kept in pairs? Bullying and fighting will leave one not doing as well as the other. Then when they are older not only will that get worse. But if one is male and one female, the male will hug and try to breed the female too illness or death. Be prepared to separate them soon.

Jc8820

NV
Once a day is fine. Feed them enough so it last all day. Tortoises will graze throughout the day.
Did anyone tell you that tortoises should not be kept in pairs? Bullying and fighting will leave one not doing as well as the other. Then when they are older not only will that get worse. But if one is male and one female, the male will hug and try to breed the female too illness or death. Be prepared to separate them soon.
Ok I just wanted to be sure. No one mentioned they shouldn't be paired so I'm glad you said something thank you!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello! New tortoise owner here :) My family just got 2 desert tortoises (both are a little over 1 year old) and I was wondering for advice on how often they should be eating? We feed them once a day but I want to make sure that is 100% correct and not underfeeding. Any help is appreciated!

Feed them as much as they will eat...especially if they are young....be sure to offer water for drinking, a couple times a day ....how did you acquire them?