Safe winter enclosure for Russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussianTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Since I live in the Northeastern part of the US it get's cold up here. So my new Russian tortoise Bubba will be coming inside. Is this safe for a temporary winter enclosure?

2 foot x 3 foot Cement Mixing tub, coconut coir as substrate, Reptisun CFL but the 5.0 UVB version and finally a Zoo-Med basking spot 100 watt lamp. The bulbs are going into ceramic dome lamps placed on top of the screen.

I wanted to see what the wonderful people here think so I know it's safe. :p

Melmelx21

5 Year Member
Carlisle, PA
I am in the same situation as you! PA is getting cold for our guy we have adopted/rescued for a month. I am learning as I go by looking at some Russian indoor photos, doing research for hours on vitamin A, humidity, and avoiding certain mulches like the plaque! I think posting a picture is the most helpful for ideas? I think if your RT is full grown that sounds small? The rubber storage bin is what Tooty is in, the biggest one I had. I get him out every afternoon to roam around the house for his exercise. That is where I get to see his real personality come thru. Smart little guy, I couldn't find him in the living room so I was calling him and he followed my voice to find me! I would say post a pic, read the posts, look at others enclosures and see what works!
Good luck with the little one!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Wow, RussianTort, somehow your post was missed.

Yes, definitely post a picture of your enclosure. How is your tort doing?
When you mention the Reptisun CFL, that is the tube light, right? next time you get one, consider a Reptisun 10.0 with a higher UVB output for this species of tort.

Now is the time to dream and plan your outside enclosure for the warmer months.

Status
Not open for further replies.