Outdoor Winter enclosure for hermanns

Joeyboyyy

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hi I live in Oregon and have a Hermanns tortoise and I need ideas on what to do to for his outdoor enclosure to make it safe for winter time. I have his enclosure set on dirt and it’s gets rain and sunshine, I’m just not sure what I can do to make it safe for him in the winter.

Attachments

• DDEAB88A-A5F2-4149-8EAA-59D7A9073FCF.png
    DDEAB88A-A5F2-4149-8EAA-59D7A9073FCF.png
    8.7 MB · Views: 46

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi I live in Oregon and have a Hermanns tortoise and I need ideas on what to do to for his outdoor enclosure to make it safe for winter time. I have his enclosure set on dirt and it’s gets rain and sunshine, I’m just not sure what I can do to make it safe for him in the winter.
You said the enclosure is set on dirt, but from the looks of it in the photo, your enclosure is basically an open topped box sitting on the deck. Is that right? If so, leaving your tortoise in that enclosure for the winter will be a death sentence if you get freezing temps where you live. The tortoise needs to be able to get below the surface of the ground to a point at or below the frost line to successfully hibernate outdoors.

If the tortoise has not hibernated previously, you might be better off trying to hibernate the tortoise in your garage or in a cool dark spot in your house like a cold closet on an exterior wall or a cool corner of the basement. When I lived in CT, my house had a root cellar where I cooled down many snakes and tortoises during the winter. The temp in that root cellar ranged from 52 on the coldest days to about 58 on the warmer days.

Joeyboyyy

Oregon

Joeyboyyy

Oregon
You said the enclosure is set on dirt, but from the looks of it in the photo, your enclosure is basically an open topped box sitting on the deck. Is that right? If so, leaving your tortoise in that enclosure for the winter will be a death sentence if you get freezing temps where you live. The tortoise needs to be able to get below the surface of the ground to a point at or below the frost line to successfully hibernate outdoors.

If the tortoise has not hibernated previously, you might be better off trying to hibernate the tortoise in your garage or in a cool dark spot in your house like a cold closet on an exterior wall or a cool corner of the basement. When I lived in CT, my house had a root cellar where I cooled down many snakes and tortoises during the winter. The temp in that root cellar ranged from 52 on the coldest days to about 58 on the warmer days.
That picture was taken previously when it was on a deck, but now I have it set on top of a plywood plank that’s on top of dirt. I don’t want to hibernate him, I was hoping for advice on what to build over the enclosure and what outdoor heat lamps to use

Joeyboyyy

Oregon
This is what it looks like now

Attachments

• DBD08D8F-BC83-4248-BB09-5D59D3CF8E5A.jpeg
    DBD08D8F-BC83-4248-BB09-5D59D3CF8E5A.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
  • B8EE8601-42BD-4204-B129-579174447834.jpeg
    B8EE8601-42BD-4204-B129-579174447834.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32

zovick

10 Year Member!
That picture was taken previously when it was on a deck, but now I have it set on top of a plywood plank that’s on top of dirt. I don’t want to hibernate him, I was hoping for advice on what to build over the enclosure and what outdoor heat lamps to use
This is just my personal opinion, but if you don't want to hibernate the tortoise, it seems that it would be a lot simpler and safer to simply bring it indoors than to leave it out in the weather through the winter. @Tom can tell you how to build a heated night box, but I still think you are taking a risk with that small tortoise leaving it outside all winter in Oregon. What if there is a power failure? Inside is better than outside in that event.

Joeyboyyy

Oregon
Yeah I think
This is just my personal opinion, but if you don't want to hibernate the tortoise, it seems that it would be a lot simpler and safer to simply bring it indoors than to leave it out in the weather through the winter. @Tom can tell you how to build a heated night box, but I still think you are taking a risk with that small tortoise leaving it outside all winter in Oregon. What if there is a power failure? Inside is better than outside in that event.
you’re right

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In this thread is the info that @zovick was talking about. The night box with controllable temperatures can be used to extend their time outside in fall, and get them out earlier in spring. Its also useful for gradually getting them ready to hibernate, and gradually bringing them out, especially when fickle Mother Nature keeps changing her mind and the weather just isn't cooperating with your plans. With some timer and thermostat adjustments, the weather inside my boxes is always just how I want it.

Joeyboyyy

Oregon
In this thread is the info that @zovick was talking about. The night box with controllable temperatures can be used to extend their time outside in fall, and get them out earlier in spring. Its also useful for gradually getting them ready to hibernate, and gradually bringing them out, especially when fickle Mother Nature keeps changing her mind and the weather just isn't cooperating with your plans. With some timer and thermostat adjustments, the weather inside my boxes is always just how I want it.

Awesome thanks :)