Safe to eat?

whortoise

Location (City and/or State)
California
I fed my tortoise this, mistaking it for miner’s lettuce. I dont think my baby russian ate a lot but she definitely had some bites. Is this safe? Should i be worried?

8A6C8B54-CB71-4E71-B778-95BD87876545.jpeg 12D6B418-A5E1-4CAA-B7CF-CB3192C770FE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

er9m

5 Year Member
EU
Yes, as i looked at photos, also have a doubt about it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Pretty sure it’s dollarweed, hydrocotyle umbellata, although that’s not native to your area. Where did you get it?

Plenty of tortoises eat it in Florida and nearby states, where it grows... like a weed! :)

My Russian isn’t a huge fan, but will usually try a few bites the first time I offer it, which I do a couple of times a year.

whortoise

California
Pretty sure it’s dollarweed, hydrocotyle umbellata, although that’s not native to your area. Where did you get it?

Plenty of tortoises eat it in Florida and nearby states, where it grows... like a weed! :)

My Russian isn’t a huge fan, but will usually try a few bites the first time I offer it, which I do a couple of times a year.
i got it in my backyard! i'm from the bay area if that clears anything up, i was just hunting for some hawks beard when i saw the round leaf and though it was miners lettuce since i know we have some but it turns out it wasn't once i looked more closely at it. Thank you so much for replying! i was quite worried.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Interesting. I can’t think of much else it could be and none of the runners up are problematic either. Perhaps someone planted it near an artificial pond and it escaped; it’s used in aquatic landscaping and also as a ground cover in damp areas. Not unheard of in California, just not native.

I’m sure it’s fine. I’d tell you not to worry about it at all but know that’s not possible for a new owner. :)