'SAFE' ? Pratia Angulata AKA 'Lawn Lobelia'

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Zealand
Hello from New Zealand, where it is Spring ATM - My Hermann have just come out of hibernation and making a meal of the Lawn Loblia that is planted in the lawn. Is it safe for them to eat please.

PlantFiles: Creeping Pratia, Fragrant Carpet, Lawn Lobelia, Blue Star Creeper, Panakenake
Pratia angulata

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/81312/#ixzz3EjrP8Lsp

013.JPG

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    463.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    467.2 KB · Views: 10

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
New Zealand
Oops posted before I had finished writing......

The other two photos are of two perennials that I would like to plant in the Hermann enclosure, are they safe please.
Names are Ajuga Jungle Beauty - has a purple flower and creeps on the ground.
Armeria Morning Star - has a bright pink flower on a tall stork and is a clumping prernnial.

Thanks Wendy

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
New Zealand
Tort's are very happy grazing the lobelia, no adverse reactions so must be A OK for them.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Pratia is now considered Lobelia; all Lobelias are not safe, and while I can find no specific cases of poisoning with this sp. I would avoid allowing it. Some are quite toxic.
Ajuga and Armeria are fine.

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
New Zealand
Pratia is now considered Lobelia; all Lobelias are not safe, and while I can find no specific cases of poisoning with this sp. I would avoid allowing it. Some are quite toxic.
Ajuga and Armeria are fine.
Thanks lochroma I have taken on board what you say. I have done quite a bit of googling since your post and I see that there over 450 different varieties of Lobelia. The one in question appears to be native to New Zealand and Australia, I thought it must have been ok as our native birds and Weta eat the red berry that the Pratia Angulata produces in Winter. I have not been feeding it to the Tortoise they just decided to have a nip off it and have eaten the flowers.

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp
I found a web site called the tortoise table and have been reading the lists of plants that are ok to plant in the enclose and those not to plant. The tortoise will continue to eat there green leafy diet and I hope they don't demolish the planting to much. All other plants checked out ok except the black mondo grass that I will remove.

Many thanks

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
New Zealand
I'm still on the bandwagon researching the toxicity of Pratia angulate or Lobelia Pedunculata (formally - Pratia Pedunculata), it is native to Australia and commonly found in great abundance in New Zealand's bush and grasslands. It would appear that the Winter fruit are considered toxic though this is unclear and vague, I can find nothing conclusive which is frustrating.
In New Zealand this variety has spread widely due to birds and Weta (large invertebrates) eating the Winter fruit and spreading the seed in their droppings.
I have removed it and replaced with Campanula Muralis and Geranium (prostrate varieties). Over and out - Wendy
Capture.JPG