Safe plant soil for enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

fieldy

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I had a plant tray in the enclosure that I planted with seed mix that my hermann's tortoise could graze on. I planted the seeds using Jiffy seed starting mix, which is basically half peat moss and half vermiculite, and my tortoise really seemed to enjoy it....until I found out that vermiculite can cause impaction...:(

Has anybody had any experience with jiffy seed starting mix, and could it really be dangerous in the enclosure?

So, I've been looking for a good organic seed starting mix without any vermiculite or perlite and I found one with these ingredients :

Ingredients: Peat, Rice Hulls, Compost, Worm Castings, Azomite, Kelp Meal, Oyster Shell Flour, Humic Acid.

Are there anything in the ingredient list that can be dangerous for my tortoise?

rideburton87

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW burbs, Illinois
Yeah you dont need to use a "jiffy" mix to grow your plants. Like ascott said some peat moss and dirt works just fine. I grow grass and weeds in my enclosure with a base of soil from my yard and coco coir on the top and the seeds sprout and are ready to eat within a week. That bag ascott sent you a link to is almost a life time supply, they shove a lot into that bag and is worth buying.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I just use the same as I use for my substrate and it works wonderful. Nothing extra to buy and no worries about it. I also take the old used substrate and place it in pots for plants.

fieldy

5 Year Member
Thanks! Would it be ok to use only peat moss? I currently don't have a yard so any dirt or soil I get will have to be bought. I'm new to growing plants and things so I have know idea what's good for starting and growing seeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.