Sadness and Joy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, California
My two sully hatchlings, and my two redfoots including the injured female are gone. Stolen from their outdoor pens. I'm heartbroken. They were in the front of my house, but I live in a small plot of cottages not facing the street. Strangers rarely walk in front of my place, I fear it was people I may know. First the sullies were gone and because I had left them uncovered for a while (stupid I know) I thought predators got to them. But then last night the redfoots disappeared as well, they are to big to be carried off and there was no sign of a struggle. Someone took them. I don't even care that they're gone, I just want them taken care of, the injured redfoot has no value, I dont want her to be discarded or hurt worse. :(.

I'm wounded but not out. I love caring for tortoises and I love finding them better homes. I've learned my lessons and will never let this happen again.

As for the joy. While searching Craigslist for my missing torts we came across an ad for two small Russians. The owners called them turtles so they obviously didn't know much about care. We decided they needed a better home and went and picked them up this afternoon. They are gorgeous! The owners had been keeping them in a 10 gal feeding them lettuce for the past 6 months! But they're in good hands now, and they've cheered me up a bit. I'll post pics soon.

Thanks for listening everyone :)

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
That's terrible. Don't give up looking for them. Contact pet shops in your area. Maybe the folks who took them will be getting supplies. Keep an eye on the classified ads and craigslist. Let the veteranarians in your area know.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I hate to say it, but is it possible predators took them? I think it is entirely possible that they might have been, there does not need to be a sign of a struggle, my RES I lost to raccoons, there were no signs of struggle . Once a coon or skunk finds a source of an easy meal they will return for more.

I would also like to add, to not give up whether if they were stolen or taken by a predator, they may still show up.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
omg! That is awful! I would keep looking for them. You can't give up so soon!! Ask around and check CL and vets like the other poster said.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This just breaks my heart. I'm so sorry. Why do people have to take something that doesn't belong to them!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I would post signs and ads and menttion that one is a special needs tort and needs meds. So sorry :(

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Ahh, that is really tough. Glad you have turned around and helped 2 other torts, they are lucky.
Good luck.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
it could be a animal... got some, came back for more..
or a human predator..
sorry to hear that...
I would build new secured locked pens or not have them out front ..
I have told very few of my neighbors... I would love to have pens in the front pasture
so people can see and enjoy, buts inviting to much bad...

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Real sorry too hear that, I hope they turn up, but in any case, I'm glad u have 2 more babies to take great care of! Good luck!!! :)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
It could very well have been raccoons, or a stray dog. The problem is that you have to be very careful who you tell about your tortoises. Your friends may be fine, but they have friends who have friends, and people talk. If you have people over, as much as you want to show them off, it's really not a good idea. Either way, let this be a wake up call for you. Do you know anyone with a trail camera that you can borrow? Set one up to see just who or what visits your yard at night.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What a shame! I don't understand some people.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
That sucks that it happened to you, hope you will take more precautions with your new additions because if it was a person who took them they may do it again. Good luck...

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Wow, what a story. I am glad you were able to turn your sorrow into happiness, at least for the two others that needed you. Don't give up on the others, if you are certain it wasn't animal predators. You never can tell...you might see them for sale on Craigs list...

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
Thank you everyone for the advice. I miss them so much.:(. I am still looking, searching the property, talking to neighbors and checking craigslist. I do plan on getting cameras, but I will be doing indoor enclosures ONLY for the time being. I am sure it was people and not just animals, it makes the most sense. i've even thought about putting a fake tortoise in the yard and trying to catch the tortnapper. I will keep everyone updated. Thanx again. :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I would put up 'lost tortoises- reward for return or information' posters all over the area with photos that are at least similar to the missing torts.

It is very likely someone in the area, likely kids. If there is a reward, that may interest them more then trying to keep them, and if someone else, like a parent, knows something, they may call.

I would rethink my enclosure and the security before I got more tortoises, however- it would be a shame to keep them indoors all the time in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.