Possible Forclosure victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
The local spca got two large sulcatas and two redfoots today. owners apparantly moved out a week ago, the two sulcatas were found wandering the front yard since the gate was left open. RF's were in the backyard. I have no clue what the conditions were or why the finder didnt just put them back in the yard and leave a note for owners to call ASAP... but they loaded them in the car and took them to the shelter. THEN went and left a note on the door. They were all hungary, but arent they always?!? Im a bit concerend since they wont allow heat lamps plugged in at night, so not sure how warm they will stay.. hopefully not for long.. Either the owner will come claim them or they will be adopted out. They both appear to be breeding pairs. ...I think.
If owner doesnt come.. Im considering taking the sulcatas...wil have to revamp quickly here.. but doable in short time since its warmer...Extension cords...corral board, Dogloo...

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Good luck Laura - keep us posted!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hopefully the torts were just being kept behind while the family got the moving and enclosure work done. If they were left behind, it is sad. Happening to lots of animals these days. Shame because in most places, there are places that will take them and find new homes for any animal. Only maybe not so bad thing is, unlike most other types of animals, sounds like they could have been able to survive in their own yard for quite some time.

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Thank you for providing a safe place for these tortoises. I just don't understand why people doing things without thinking. I would foster them right away until a good homes will be found, however, you are way up North and I am down here in the South. Keep us posted.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RE: Possible Forclosure victims/update

I just spoke to the SPCA, The owner has called and wants them back. He did not abandon them, he was moving and was coming back for them. I suspected that, but good to know. In fact there were 5 others in the yard as well! I hope to get his info and go visit to see his set up. I always like to see what other people do.
happy ending.. except I was looking forward to getting them! darn

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thats funny that the tortoise was just hanging out around the front yard. Laura keep your eye out on sites like petfinder.com and craigslist if you are interested in adopting a turtle or tortoise.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RE: UPDATE AGAIN!!!

Well. the owner came into today. He is in a rental with very little yard. he got his redfoot's back and a large russian. ( everyone thought it was the baby sulcata.. :p)) But he admited he really didnt have a yard for the big guys.. so the staff told him about my place and showed him a picture and he agreed to let them go.. Kinda sad. He really loved them. They are 7 and 10. The ten year old was a rescue and has some shell damage, the 7 year old is looking very good.
I have them here now. They are set up out in the pasture, tucked away cozy for the night. I wil post pics later this week.
wish us luck!!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I am glad he realized he could not take care of them and knew they would be going some place safe and happy. It must have been very sad for him. Darn economy is affecting a lot of people in so many different ways. Glad they are safe with you.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I feel so sad for him, but happy that you were able to provide a loving safe home for them, you could always send updates to him...

Status
Not open for further replies.