Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Stephanie Logan said:
What a sad story. I even posted a thread on this forum about overturning because it is one of my worst nightmares that it will happen to Taco. I have followed her around all over the yard this summer when she goes exploring to see how she handles little obstacles and what she will try to climb or descend from, or crawl under . I have seen her bellyflop off a timber step, climb down from a short tree stump, climb up and over a brick border, attempt to cross a four inch wall of metal edging, and just today I found her nearly vertical, trying to escape her pen. Fortunately, she seems to be cautious enough that she has never to my knowledge flipped over (I don't know, with her deformed shell, if she could flip back upright, so there's another thing for me to feel guilty about--and I do). I am so very sad for you. I hope you get a new tortie who grows up strong and outlives you!

If you are concrened about her being able to flip over with here deformed shell, you could always flip her over and see if she has a quick response or if it looks like she would have problems doing it. Under supervision of course, but like I said In my experience bigger torts usually do not flip themselves over .

LBSKUNK

5 Year Member
I am sorry to hear about your tort. This is one of my daily concerns. I have 2 ten year old desert torts (Andre and Calvin) and I have found Andre flipped over 3 times in the last 2 years. We have been very fortunate to find him and flip him back over ourselves, but each time I don't know how long he has been flipped over and it scares me that one day it will happen again but the next time we might not find him in time. Each time we have found him flipped over he looks motionless, sad and helpless as if he had lost all his will to right himself.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
LBSKUNK said:
I am sorry to hear about your tort. This is one of my daily concerns. I have 2 ten year old desert torts (Andre and Calvin) and I have found Andre flipped over 3 times in the last 2 years. We have been very fortunate to find him and flip him back over ourselves, but each time I don't know how long he has been flipped over and it scares me that one day it will happen again but the next time we might not find him in time. Each time we have found him flipped over he looks motionless, sad and helpless as if he had lost all his will to right himself.

Just out of curiousity do you have 2 males? they could be fighting each other and one being the less dominant one could be flipped over again and again. seperating them would most likely solve you problem, just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.