Russians roam at night?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I usually lock my Sulcatas in at night since I have seen them roaming the pen on occasion at 1-2am..lol.. I have been locking the Russians in there hide at night..but not sure of I should bother.. Do they roam t night...the pen is secure..a pen within a pen covered with hardware mesh... Surrounded by a electric fence...anyone see a need to lock them in at night..

Thoughts opinions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Most tortoise species do not go out after dark. There are some species that do, Manouria is one that I have experience with. But my Russians dig in in the early evening and don't come out until the sun is shining. I lock mine in to protect them from predators, not to keep them from sleep-walking.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My Russian does the same as Yvonnes. If you know 1000% that no one or something can't get to them, then there is no reason to lock them up. Same with your sullied, if nothing can get to them.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I'm not to worried about predators .. If they happen to get by the electric fence ..they would then need to get into the pen..then be small enough to get into the hide whose opening is 6" wide by 3" and there is only 3" of height in the hide..