Not open for further replies.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
This is Marty and Tori's enclosure.

Two Rubbermaid tubs.
IMG_0058.jpg

Tori eating the lettuce heart. They have a landing with calcium and water. And a tunnel connecting the tubs.
IMG_0056.jpg

Marty being shy.
IMG_0057.jpg

The tunnel.
IMG_0059.jpg

View from tunnel.
IMG_0060.jpg

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I love the tunnel idea to connect the tubs! Great job! I bet your little guy are really happy in there =]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good idea to connect the two tubs for more floor space.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
The tunnel is great!! I also like their little loft area ;) Very nice enclosure- gave me some great ideas for when I build my Russian's new enclosure this spring!

sulcata

5 Year Member
i like the tunnel idea good job!!...**thumbs up**

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Clever and ambitious! Plenty of room for adventure and "new" horizons.;)

Do they ever roll down those ramps, or do they just look steep in photos?:p

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
They climb it just fine. But they have learned how to slide very carefully down.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Rhyno47 said:
They climb it just fine. But they have learned how to slide very carefully down.

Hahaha! That would make a great video (or at least a calendar-worthy photograph)!;)

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
you did a great job!!! What did you use on top of the wood for the ramp? We can't quite tell from the pictures.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Its a min fridge's rack with sand paper screen going in and out the spokes to give it traction.

S

stells

I do like all the ideas... a lot of thought has gone into it...
but..
it looks abit on the small side to me... even with the two tubs connected... i would also watch the landing it looks very easy for them to climb either completely out of the enclosure or fall down into it... i would have left that out so i could have a deeper substrate instead...

Thats just me though big enclosures... deep substrate...

Some will think i am being rude... i like to think of it as honest...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Obviously alot of thought went into your enclosure because it's not a simple set up. But I agree with Stells. I don't think that there is enough floor space for two Russian tortoises, especially being as active as they normally are. They will climb into, over, under and out of anything that is in their way.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Very nice enclosures Ryan, but like Kelly and Gary I have some reservations about the design. I agree with what Kelly said about the second floor, much to easy to get out of the enclosure and/or fall back into the enclosure.
Something else I would have done would have been to add a basking spot in the smaller container. The one you have isn't big enough (dome size wise) to fit 2 tortoises under it and have them both warm up.
Also you can have the tube light more over the bigger section, that way everything will be lighted equally. :)

Danny

Jessica

5 Year Member
I don't know what you think about the space, but here in Finland we have a "rule" that adult russian tortoises needs a 3 x 6 feet enclosure minimum? And that's just for one tortoise, two needs more space.
And I don't want to be rude either, I'm just asking?

TaraTort

5 Year Member
i think the enclosure looked great, what was the substrate you was using? sorry it was probably obvious but i was just wandering as im thinking of changing my torts substrate
and i agree with some of the others on how i think the tunnel and loft idea is a great idea :)

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
I started with the coconut husk stuff and then added Cypress the next day. Mixed together allowed my piglets to disappear faster and am told that Cypress holds moisture longer and won't compact. It is amazing that their little feet will compress anything. As long as they feel secure and stay moist, I can sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.