Outdoor Russian hide.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I have 4 Russians. Two of them will frequently completely bury themselves in their enclosure. The other two rarely do this, and even when they do they don't completely bury themselves. The first two are the only ones that use this hide. Fortunately they do use it rather than burrying themselves. A buried tortoise in a large overgrown garden is very hard to find.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Watch those buried tortoises to make sure that they get enough food, water & sun. I used to think my oldest RT had a particular fondness for the best hide. Finally I realized she was hiding from the others. Not saying this is happening in your group, just something to watch for.

Great hide.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Watch those buried tortoises to make sure that they get enough food, water & sun. I used to think my oldest RT had a particular fondness for the best hide. Finally I realized she was hiding from the others. Not saying this is happening in your group, just something to watch for.

Great hide.
Thanks. That does worry me. I weigh them all weekly. Can I assume as long as not losing weight They are ok? Is there anything else to watch for?

Suhana

Roswell, Georgia
@Jodie: What did you use to make a hole through bottom of the flower pot?

I love your idea think I'm might do something like that for my RT.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I just have a pair of scissors that are all purpose cutters. They will even cut wire. I think they might be fiskars.