Russian Tortoise Sick?

Tiff

5 Year Member
Hi TFO!

This morning I notice that my Russian Tortoise Sovi when to bathroom and it looked different than normal. The white has a brownish / yellowish color to it. Should i worry? My Sovi roams free in the basement, she has a basking light set-up. I soak her 3 times a week. I'm going to guess she is 5 years old. She looks fine and acts fine, though her skin looks dry.

When i first got her, i think she was an adult in 2011 from Petco. The sales person said she is a female which did lay eggs. I'm not sure if to believe them or not but she is a female. I had set up an enclosure for her, she hated it! So i took her out and let her walk around. Now 3 years later she still is out and loves to see what I'm getting into. I'm always in the basement. I have an office and my bike shop so i spend majority of my time there. I have a lot of heat lamps in the basement a 75 gal fish tank, a 150gal tub for my red eared slider turtle.

I think i'm a little paranoid...... i just lost my Greyhound to bone cancer she was 10.5 years old, my green iguana to kidney disease he was 14 years old, and my favorite person in the word my grandmother!

Thank you guys in advance! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The color of the urates is usually influenced by what the tortoise has been eating. For example, dandelion makes the urine and urates look a bit pink or brown.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think i'm a little paranoid...... i just lost my Greyhound to bone cancer she was 10.5 years old, my green iguana to kidney disease he was 14 years old, and my favorite person in the word my grandmother!

Torts can muster up some mystery poo colors for sure...Brown is not an unhealthy one of them...as Ms Yvonne shared, food can dictate alot of the colors, as well as textures...

I am so sorry to hear of your journey with loss...I do have to say, I did notice that each of your loving family shared here have left this world at an older age---how lovely to get in as much life as possible with each before their moving on...and I mean this with great respect...

Tiff

5 Year Member
I fed her banana last night. I feed her repti cal fruit tortoise food.

Thank you, it really helps to know that. :)

I got a little freaked out because it is a sign of kidney disease in green iguanas.

You have a great point....they all lived long lives! :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Banana can do "funny" things to poo....also, remember that this species of torts digestive system is not designed to process fruit items as readily as say a Redfoot, so you will want to plan to offer fruits as a treat, you likely are already doing this but just wanted to share that with ya ;)

Tiff

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I lost them all in less than two weeks

Oh,...my heart is heavy for you dear...

I have new additions to my family, my dog that was stolen 3 1/2 years is now back home! I had her chipped, when i adopted her from the humane society. My hatchling the yellow foot is another addition along the another dog that i adopted from a women off of Craigslist. :) Oh and today i just brought home a 6 month old green cheek conure from petsmart.....i felt so bad for him. His feathers are all chewed on his tail. The poor thing was trying to get my attention when i was shopping for pet supplies.

TortsNTurtles said:
I am sorry for your losses.

Thank you! New additions really help. They have been keeping me busy!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I love happy endings. That's great your dog returned and you gave a good home to those who needed one !