Help, sick tortoise!

kikiorangutan

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I have a desert tortoise who is between 10 and 12 years old. We've had her for 10 years. (We got her from a family who only fed her turtle pellets and she didn't have water). Anyway, for 10 years she's been a happy tortoise but this year after hibernation she didn't really want to wake up. (She usually hibernates between October and April). Since April she hasn't really been eating. She only drinks if I soak her and the only thing she'll eat is a couple of peas and green beans.
We took her to the vet in May (it usually takes her a couple weeks to wake up from hibernation fully) because she just didn't want to do anything. We had X-rays done, they were normal. Her blood work was "mostly normal" (whatever that means) and her fecal only showed pin worms. They also did a swab and she came back positive for mycoplasma, herpesvirus, and cryptosporidium. Right now she has a feeding tube and we give her water, antibiotics, and critical care liquid diet. She still doesn't eat and has only pooped once since April.
Anyway, my question is if anyone has had this experience. Does anyone have an opinion about when/if she should be euthanized? We're going to put her on an antiviral and dewormer. She's really not doing well but at this point the vet doesn't feel comfortable putting her to sleep. I guess I'm just looking for advice on what to do.
(We also had to take out EVERYTHING from her cage because if she digs she'll pull out her tube. She's so sad she can't hide or dig.)
Thanks so much for any help!IMG_0723.JPG

Bee62

Germany
Hello, when she is positive with mycoplasma, herpesvirus and cryptosporidium and worms she is really sick.
But you must give the medication time to work. With the feeding tube she can survive a long time when she don`t want to eat by herself.
I would give her and the medicine time. Torts are slow, even in recovery. Speak with your VET. When he thinks it`s time to put her to sleep it might be the right time, but not yet.
Healing needs time.
I wish you good luck for your tortoise.

daniellenc

Maryland
I am not aware there is treatment for Crytosporidium......in snakes it is a death sentence. As a matter of fact if found in one snake within a collection the entire collection is euthanized immediately in many cases because of how easily it is spread and how painful the death is. I'm not sure how cryto effects tortoises but I can't imagine it would be much different. Lack of eating, vomiting, foul smelling watery diarrhea, weight loss, and then eventual death from dehydration and starvation. I do know some reptile fecals can test positive for cryto but it is usually the mammilian form in which they can carry but not contract the same strain.....however, this is usually found in snakes fed live mice and rats.

kikiorangutan

Utah
Hello, when she is positive with mycoplasma, herpesvirus and cryptosporidium and worms she is really sick.
But you must give the medication time to work. With the feeding tube she can survive a long time when she don`t want to eat by herself.
I would give her and the medicine time. Torts are slow, even in recovery. Speak with your VET. When he thinks it`s time to put her to sleep it might be the right time, but not yet.
Healing needs time.
I wish you good luck for your tortoise.
Thanks for your reply. We're gonna stick it out for a few weeks to see how she does. I appreciate your support!

kikiorangutan

Utah
I am not aware there is treatment for Crytosporidium......in snakes it is a death sentence. As a matter of fact if found in one snake within a collection the entire collection is euthanized immediately in many cases because of how easily it is spread and how painful the death is. I'm not sure how cryto effects tortoises but I can't imagine it would be much different. Lack of eating, vomiting, foul smelling watery diarrhea, weight loss, and then eventual death from dehydration and starvation. I do know some reptile fecals can test positive for cryto but it is usually the mammilian form in which they can carry but not contract the same strain.....however, this is usually found in snakes fed live mice and rats.
Thanks for the information! I've also heard herpes is a death sentence in tortoises. I guess we'll just follow the vet's instructions for now and hope for the best.

Kasia

Poland
Thanks for the information! I've also heard herpes is a death sentence in tortoises. I guess we'll just follow the vet's instructions for now and hope for the best.
For some viral type illnesses tortoise could be just a host and not show sings or symptoms. I would ask the Vet if this could be the case here. Has he been treated for the pinworms? Heavy infestation could lead to anorexia and lack of activity especially after hibernation period. Don't give up hope:) If I were you I would also consult with some other Vet to be sure the first one didn't miss something before you agree to euthanize him. Take all your test results and just go somewhere else. I keep mine fingers crossed for you both, good luck:).

Bee62

Germany

Herpes could be a death sentence in tortoises, but it must not be one ! Some tortoises can live with a herpes infection but they carry the virus and infect other tortoises. I would be more worried about the infection with Cryptosporidium.
To consult another VET like @Kasia said will be a good idea. Two opinions are better.

kikiorangutan

Utah
Just wanted to give an update. She's not improving at all :( She's pooped twice since we started treatment and it's very runny and not like her usual poops. She doesn't want to eat all. Not even hibiscus, which is her favorite. We finished the antibiotics, dewormer, and we have about a week left of the antiviral. It's breaking my heart because she just sits in a corner. She usually loves to bask and explore her outdoor area but she just sits there all day doing nothing. She still drinks a little. I just don't know what to do. We're taking her back to the vet to see what they'll say but I think her quality of life has gone downhill. I just don't understand how with all the medications and liquid diet she's still not feeling better. Any advice is appreciated.

Kasia

Poland
I am sorry to read that. All I can say is that tortoise recover slow. If she were mine I would give her just a bit more time. Is she being tube fed?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Just wanted to give an update. She's not improving at all :( She's pooped twice since we started treatment and it's very runny and not like her usual poops. She doesn't want to eat all. Not even hibiscus, which is her favorite. We finished the antibiotics, dewormer, and we have about a week left of the antiviral. It's breaking my heart because she just sits in a corner. She usually loves to bask and explore her outdoor area but she just sits there all day doing nothing. She still drinks a little. I just don't know what to do. We're taking her back to the vet to see what they'll say but I think her quality of life has gone downhill. I just don't understand how with all the medications and liquid diet she's still not feeling better. Any advice is appreciated.
I'm so sorry. If the vet thinks she is in pain, I would euthanize her. I wouldn't want her to suffer.

Bee62

Germany
The decision to euthanize an animal, and the right day when to do it, is a very hard one.
I always hesitate when it is not clear if recovery can be able, but like @Big Charlie said, no animal should suffer.
I think I would do it like@Kasia wrote: Give her a little more time while feeding with the feeding tube.

I am not envy you for your decision what to do with your sick tortoise. My fingers are crossed for her and I send the best wishes to you.
Please keep us farther updated.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Go to another vet.
Sometimes recovery can be a long and painful process.
If there's still a hope of recovery, then , for me, it would be worthwhile.

kikiorangutan

Utah
Go to another vet.
Sometimes recovery can be a long and painful process.
If there's still a hope of recovery, then , for me, it would be worthwhile.
I agree we want to give her time. It's just hard watching her so depressed, you know? I don't want to make any quick decisions, but I also can't stand seeing her like this. We're seeing a different vet tomorrow to see what they say.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I agree we want to give her time. It's just hard watching her so depressed, you know? I don't want to make any quick decisions, but I also can't stand seeing her like this. We're seeing a different vet tomorrow to see what they say.
I think this is the best way to go.
You can make any hard decisions tomorrow, if need be, when you have seen the vet.
I send you my deepest regards and best wishes and hope this all works out for the poor girl.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
@ZEROPILOT had a tortoise who was sick for months and months and she finally turned around. I hope you can get her going again. I know you don't want her to pull her tube, but I worry that being in a completely empty cage and fully 'exposed' might contribute to her not wanting to eat. I wonder if you wrapped her shell in vetwrap or an ace bandage or something if you could at least give her a hide box.

kikiorangutan

Utah
Just wanted to inform everyone that Squirt has passed on. We are heartbroken but the vet said at this point it's the best thing we did for her. Thank you all for your help and I really appreciate all your love and support. Best wishes

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My deepest condolences.
Very, very sad.
You did the best you could for her and now her pain is over.

Bee62

Germany
Oh. I am so sorry for your loss.
I always hoped that she will recover. That is very sad, but you have done all for her.

RIP Squirt.