Russian Tortoise, Sick?

RadialTortuguero7

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Hi, I winter my tortoises outside, one of my female Russian tortoises has almost shut eyes. They seem sunk in, she is moving slowly. Her eyes were open yesterday, but something seemed wrong with her then. I don't think it's URI, with no discharge or issues breathing. But I am not so sure it is just lethargy from the recent wintering. I put her there to bask; she is not just enjoying the sun. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20200319_110803.jpg
    20200319_110803.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 20200319_110813.jpg
    20200319_110813.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I never brumate any of my brumating species outside unless it's in a place where I know they'll be dry and safe from freezing the whole winter. The first year I had Russians - a friend and I went to SoCal to the reptile warehouses and were able to pick up 20 or 30 Russian tortoises for cheap. (my old age memory doesn't allow me to remember the accurate number) but we were able to get them for about $10 apiece when buying in bulk. At that time I belonged to a club, and planned to sell some of them at the next meeting. Anyway, that first year I allowed them to find their own way out in their yard when winter rolled around. In the spring only about six of them showed up. All the rest had died. So now my 1.3 russian tortoises are brumated in a cinderblock house that's full of leaves, and situated on the carport. No danger of freezing or getting wet. Haven't lost one yet brumating them in this way.

You will need to set this tortoise up indoors temporarily. Doesn't need to be a great big enclosure, just a little hospital tank, maybe like a 20 gallon aquarium. Fix the temperature to an overall 80F degrees, and 85F would be ok too. Cover it to keep out the cooler air from the house try to maintain that temperature even at night. Soak her daily for about a half hour in warm water. You can position a light partially over the soaking tub so it doesn't get too cold.

Hopefully she's just dehydrated and if you warm her up clear through to the core, and soak her daily she should snap out of it.

Once your weather warms up and she's eating you can put her back outside.