Sick Red Foot?

tortoisemommy79zx

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho, USAa
I got my red foot about a month or so ago. A few days after i got her she got the symptoms of a URI. Sneezing, wheezing, bubbles out of her nose.. she rubbed her face on her feet a lot too. Her eyes got stuck shut from the weepy eyes.. it was just sad. I would soak her in warmer water than i normally did. Put warm water on a q tip to help her open her eyes again. I let her outside two days in a row when it was warm outside. She ate dandelions and seemed to get better. I also had only two 50w lights on their 50gallon aquarium. So i bought a 250w light and lamp to go with it from D&B. This raised their temp quite a bit. I put new dirt in half of the cage and i keep it quite damp so the humidity will be higher. Just yesterday i heard the wheezing. So i assume it went away and came back. I have a heating pad under the cage that they love to sleep on. I figure im still doing something wrong. My friend that has three torts told me to feed her some pumpkin puree to help her out. She seemed to love it. How much should i be feeding her it? I gave them a spoonful and they ate it all. How many days should i repeat the feeding of the puree?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Glad she ate the pumpkin. I don't what too much is. Someone will.
Can you tell us what the temps on her ground are? The warm side and the cooler side?
Are you making sure that she has ample heat 24/7 ?

Can you post any pictures of her face and the enclosure?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
tortoisemommy79zx said:
I got my red foot about a month or so ago. A few days after i got her she got the symptoms of a URI. Sneezing, wheezing, bubbles out of her nose.. she rubbed her face on her feet a lot too. Her eyes got stuck shut from the weepy eyes.. it was just sad. I would soak her in warmer water than i normally did. Put warm water on a q tip to help her open her eyes again. I let her outside two days in a row when it was warm outside. She ate dandelions and seemed to get better. I also had only two 50w lights on their 50gallon aquarium. So i bought a 250w light and lamp to go with it from D&B. This raised their temp quite a bit. I put new dirt in half of the cage and i keep it quite damp so the humidity will be higher. Just yesterday i heard the wheezing. So i assume it went away and came back. I have a heating pad under the cage that they love to sleep on. I figure im still doing something wrong. My friend that has three torts told me to feed her some pumpkin puree to help her out. She seemed to love it. How much should i be feeding her it? I gave them a spoonful and they ate it all. How many days should i repeat the feeding of the puree?

it maybe a disease from having a Russian and a redfoot together they would never come in contact in the wild and doing so could resolut in disease

tortoisemommy79zx

Idaho, USAa
naturalman91 said:
tortoisemommy79zx said:

it maybe a disease from having a Russian and a redfoot together they would never come in contact in the wild and doing so could resolut in disease

It isn't from the russian. The person i bought him from was bought from Petsmart. There isnt a way he could be a wild caught..

kathyth said:
Can you tell us what the temps on her ground are? The warm side and the cooler side?

The temps on the hot side is a whopping 115 degrees. There is a 250w and a 50w light on their cage. The humidity is a low 30% and the "cool" side is at 86 degrees. The lights get shut off at night so it can drop to 68 degrees at the lowest. There is a heating pad on the cool side that i find them sleeping on. Thats usually the nights i feel are cooler than normal. I can post pictures tomorrow.
Trying a new cage. Put coco moss and forest floor moss in the cage. Took the 50w off their old cage and put it on the smaller cage that is now just hers. Humidity is 80% and temperature was only at 85 degrees so far. Put a heating pad under that too.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
tortoisemommy79zx said:
naturalman91 said:
tortoisemommy79zx said:

It isn't from the russian. The person i bought him from was bought from Petsmart. There isnt a way he could be a wild caught..

kathyth said:

The temps on the hot side is a whopping 115 degrees. There is a 250w and a 50w light on their cage. The humidity is a low 30% and the "cool" side is at 86 degrees. The lights get shut off at night so it can drop to 68 degrees at the lowest. There is a heating pad on the cool side that i find them sleeping on. Thats usually the nights i feel are cooler than normal. I can post pictures tomorrow.
Trying a new cage. Put coco moss and forest floor moss in the cage. Took the 50w off their old cage and put it on the smaller cage that is now just hers. Humidity is 80% and temperature was only at 85 degrees so far. Put a heating pad under that too.

just because it was bought from petsmart doesn't mean anything even if the Russian isn't sick it could still pass something off those are 2 different immune systems that are immune to different things and not always the same thing that's what we mean by mixing these two come from 2 very different parts of the world one requires high humidity one requires very low for the most healthy and active life i suggest as well a lot of other's who read this that you seperate the two i'm not trying to be mean or anything but any and all advice we give you kinda seem's pointless if you don't follow the basics.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/mixing.htm

a link on mixing and why it shouldn't be done

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
115 degrees sounds like it's too hot on the hot side you should lower that to be between 95 and 100, on the cool side I wouldn't let it get cooler than between 75 and 80. Also you said you keep the dirt moist, make sure it isn't cold to the touch and night temps - you should get something to keep them over 75 or since your tort is sick prob keep them over 80 for now. You can get a ceramic heat emitter to keep night temps up they are wonderful. I don't believe your tort got anything from the russian tort (unless the russian tort was sick with ri and gave that to yours) I just think you need to improve the husbandry a bit is all. Also you should get some saline solution and put it in his nose and eyes twice a day and try soaking him more than once for more than 30 minutes everyday and keep him warm during it. The pumpkin is good vitamin A you could also try butternut squash and carrots. I would also take him to the vet he will most likely need and antibiotic. :)

tortoisemommy79zx

Idaho, USAa
AmRoKo said:
115 degrees sounds like it's too hot on the hot side you should lower that to be between 95 and 100, on the cool side I wouldn't let it get cooler than between 75 and 80. Also you said you keep the dirt moist, make sure it isn't cold to the touch and night temps - you should get something to keep them over 75 or since your tort is sick prob keep them over 80 for now. You can get a ceramic heat emitter to keep night temps up they are wonderful. I don't believe your tort got anything from the russian tort (unless the russian tort was sick with ri and gave that to yours) I just think you need to improve the husbandry a bit is all. Also you should get some saline solution and put it in his nose and eyes twice a day and try soaking him more than once for more than 30 minutes everyday and keep him warm during it. The pumpkin is good vitamin A you could also try butternut squash and carrots. I would also take him to the vet he will most likely need and antibiotic. :)

I've had the russian for a few months. He had UR when i got him about 4 months ago. He got it from the turtle i had at the time that i got living in very poor conditons. The guy had him living in a sink no lighting or anything. The russian quickly got better and hasn't been sick since. Even living with the red foot hes not sick. I moved tanks last night.

kathyth said:

Here are my temporary cages. I am going to get 50 gallon rubber-maid containers when i get paid. Im keeping towels over the lids to keep the heat and humidity in. I know the russians water is dirty. I havent washed it today yet. The walls are keeping them away from the germinating seeds growing.

Attachments

• Snapchat-20140404094747.jpg
    Snapchat-20140404094747.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Snapchat-20140404094759.jpg
    Snapchat-20140404094759.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Snapchat-20140404094815.jpg
    Snapchat-20140404094815.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Snapchat-20140404094820.jpg
    Snapchat-20140404094820.jpg