Rectal problem for Russian tort

morbank

5 Year Member
My female tortoise Burrito has been doing great after a bout of swollen eyes and lethargy after hibernation. She's been eating well, enjoying the sun.
But just today I noticed she seemed sluggish, and tonight when I went to check to make sure she got into her house, she looked lifeless!
I pulled her out, her head droopy and falling side to side, mouth limp and slightly opened.
I've been bathing her and bringing her temperature up. She seems to respond to my touches now but is still keeping her eyes shut. Then I noticed her vent/rectum was open. And the pink thing... Part of her intestine? See the pic
Planning to call the vet first thing in the a.m. If she makes it?!?
Help! Thank you!! ImageUploadedByTortForum1395111383.805639.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorrie Siu

I remember hearing something about that here. I just did a search. It's called a prolapse.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-27867.html

If I recall they say to soak her in warm water with karo syrup? and to keep it moist. Put her on moist paper towels so that substrate will not get in there. Sometimes they go away okay, but sometimes it's because of a compacted egg? I'm not sure. I just sort of remember that. I'm sure there are other thread topic here but for now, there's the one above.

Good luck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
She might be egg bound. A trip to the vet is a must. In the meantime, warm her up to about 85F degrees and keep her quiet.

Dorrie Siu

EGG BOUND yes, that's what I meant to say in lieu of compacted egg. Thanks Yvonne! :)

morbank

5 Year Member
Yes vet did an X-ray and there are eggs. But he feels the other problems she's having are not related. Upper respiratory issues...poor tort is very sick!