Help: My tortoise is bending her neck back

Alw1990

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
Hi can someone tell me what is going on with my Russian Tort Lele. She is bending her neck all the way back, opening and closing her mouth rabidly. I try to put food in front of her and she won't eat though she is moving her mouth like she is hungry. I see no discharge from her nose her eyes are a little glossy and her eyes look sad to me ? I have no idea what to do. And she is sitting with her head in an up position I attached a photo of her right now

20200731_121910.jpg

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Hi can someone tell me what is going on with my Russian Tort Lele. She is bending her neck all the way back, opening and closing her mouth rabidly. I try to put food in front of her and she won't eat though she is moving her mouth like she is hungry. I see no discharge from her nose her eyes are a little glossy and her eyes look sad to me ? I have no idea what to do. And she is sitting with her head in an up position I attached a photo of her right now
Also bending her neck back is normal, how many times have you seen her open her mouth. She could also be not eating because of the other tortoise. She might be stressed or is being bullied.

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
I’m going to link this care sheet to you, it will tell you everything you need to know

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yvonne is correct. What you are describing is a tortoise which is having difficulty getting enough air into its lungs. It may have pneumonia. Since you haven't noticed any bubbles or nasal discharge, it might also be that something is stuck in its throat causing a partial blockage of the windpipe.

Have you had the tortoise very long? When did you first notice this behavior?

Alw1990

Seattle, WA
Also bending her neck back is normal, how many times have you seen her open her mouth. She could also be not eating because of the other tortoise. She might be stressed or is being bullied.
Okay so glad that is normal She has opened her mouth and closed done it about 8 times since yesterday. So I just found her on her back and quickly flipped her back over right now she is sitting on the floor right next to me so I can watch her and I do have two other I have another female and male and my other female is pretty aggressive and hogs the food and she is bigger then Lele so I wouldn't be surprised if she is bullied and stressed

Alw1990

Seattle, WA
Yvonne is correct. What you are describing is a tortoise which is having difficulty getting enough air into its lungs. It may have pneumonia. Since you haven't noticed any bubbles or nasal discharge, it might also be that something is stuck in its throat causing a partial blockage of the windpipe.

Oh wow!!!! Okay she had started this behavior the day before yesterday and she keeps bending her head like something is wrong she is also dragging herself when she walks like she is injured and I've looked at her arms but I don't see anything. I have only had her since May and she pretty small?

Alw1990

Seattle, WA
Sorry for all the questions but it could also be because of your heating and lighting sources. What do you use for uvb and heat?
Sadly Lele died this afternoon ? she didn't make it these are all great questions the lighting I'm still trying to figure out I've gone to the pet store for help so many times zero help I honestly just need the exact name, brand of bulbs I am to buy. And where should they be placed. Okay for the enclosure at the moment they are in a auvitain tortoise enclosure

Alw1990

Seattle, WA

Lele passed away today???

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
I am so sorry for your loss.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry for the loss of your buddy.

Alw1990

Seattle, WA
I am so extremely sorry for your loss....
But to me it sounded like she was choking on something???
my prayers are with you...???
Thank you so much I felt so helpless because she kept looking up at me and she really tried scooting her body towards me by yesterday time she lost her ability to walk and move her arms she got worst so fast I had an urgent care appointment for her tomorrow and have to let them know. I don't know what she could have choked on? but totally possible