Russian tortoise owners

BrookeFertig

5 Year Member
hi everyone on tortoise forum ! My name is Brooke and I am extremely new to this forum , as well as tortoises , but not reptiles. I have had exotic reptiles for a while. I have always likes turtles and tortoises, however I never intended on getting one so recently ! Over the weekend, I went into a pet store just to buy dog food , however, when I went in there was a Russian tortoise that was in a hamster-sized ( 10 gallon aquarium at most) cage that he couldn't possibly even move very much, and he was ramming his head multiple times into the glass walls. I couldn't leave that little guy there, to cut the story short ! Now I have a Greek Tortoise , and I have him in a 30 gallon tank ( which is not big enough, but until I find a perfect larger tank for him , that's where he will sleep and eat ). He really is a sweet boy and I let him walk around freely in the rooms where I am ( so he can exercise and I am there to supervise). I am writing this post , mainly to seek information from Russian tortoise owners! If there are any tips/ tricks , what to do and what to no do. ( also his tank includes a hide out and the walls are decorated with wrapping paper from the outside, so that he wouldn't ram the glass walls)
Thanks guys !
:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Brooke, and welcome to the Forum!!

So is he a Greek or a Russian?

You don't have to use aquariums. You can buy really large plastic tubs quite a bit cheaper than aquariums. You can even buy two tubs, cut out opposing ends, and tape two together to make one very large habitat.

Russian tortoises are wanderers and cover a very large area of land in their wanderings. So keeping a Russian tortoise in a small indoor habitat isn't a good idea. Some tortoises get used to it, but most don't, and they are constantly trying to climb or dig out.

BrookeFertig

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcoming Jaizel ! Hi to you too, Yvonne G ! I'm sorry for the discrepancy in my post , he is a Russian Tortoise ... I am not sure what made me say Greek ! I have purchased the tortoise palace that is sold online and I am expecting it to come in hopefully soon !

BrookeFertig

5 Year Member
He is acting normal and is active and all of his signs are good ... However since he is from petsmart , do you think he is truly healthy ?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They take a hard road to get to most Pet stores in the US.
Be sure to soak him daily in shallow warm water for a week, then 1-2x per week.
If he is active, eating etc., then he will probably be OK.

Start planning now for an outside enclosure next year!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO! I love my Russians they are just a great species. Even after 20 years they are still one of my favorites. Let me also invite you to join us on the Russian Tortoise Facebook page. We have a lively and respectful group growing like crazy over there.

BrookeFertig

5 Year Member
What does soaking really do for a tortoise --I know that is such a new comer question, but I really need a straight answer ! Thank you all for the responses ! [TURTLE]

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Re: RE: Russian tortoise owners

BrookeFertig said:
What does soaking really do for a tortoise --I know that is such a new comer question, but I really need a straight answer ! Thank you all for the responses ! [TURTLE]

you always soak in warm water which warms the tort up and gets him active since he's cold blooded. usually when confined in a bucket of water they eventually drink and if not a small amount is absorbed through the vent. no tortoises like it at first but if you keep the water warm they will relax and enjoy it.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Make sure the warm water is not to deep

BrookeFertig

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384032775.814136.jpg here is my little boy ! He is awaiting the arrival of the tortoise palace ! [CLAPPING HANDS SIGN]

Last edited by a moderator: