Russian Tortoise Name Help Me Choose

Kaitlynn

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota, USA
So I am a first time tortoise owner and my hatchling will be on its way starting Monday morning. I am very excited for the little guy and have everything prepared and set up. I have a topsoil/coco coir substrate (I had play sand but I read a lot of reviews so I switched) in a nice size indoor enclosure, an MVB lamp for the day and heat emitter for our colder nights here in Minnesota. I also have a nice variety of greens picked out and a calcium block and nutrition powder. My enclosure contains a an appropriate sized shelter, food/water dishes, and temperature thermometer/humidity thermometer. Now, I feel the only things I am missing is a name. I am stuck between two that are from characters in movies I loved as a kid. One is Toothless (from: How to Train Your Dragon). The second is LittleFoot (from: The Land Before Time). They are both pretty unisex names (because you cant tell the sex when they are hatchlings) and I love them both but need some help deciding. Any help would be appreciated. I also have done a lot of research on hatchlings and their first day arrivals but any advice for me being a first time owner would be appreciated! :) Thanks!My New Baby!.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Salutations.
Is How to Train Your Dragon, really that old? anyways toothless is the best end of discussion. :)
BTW, I also loved that movie.

Kaitlynn

Minnesota, USA
Aw Thanks everyone for the help and making me feel welcome! I love this forum, you guys are great! :)

Flipper

MO, USA
I love Toothless too :<3:

It was a great movie! And so was the second one :)

Mommyof4

Wisconsin
If you want to be unique, choose Toothless. Littlefoot is a common name. Both are cute though!!!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Toothless for sure, unless you don't mind having a tortoise with a VERY common name... Trust me I own Franklin the tortoise and it kind of sucks that almost everyone names theirs franklin. Stay original and go with toothless :)

Kaitlynn

Minnesota, USA
Because I am hearing so many people say that there are a lot of "Little Foots" I am really leaning towards Toothless :) Funny that it is so common. I am a Disney/Animated movie fan, so they just came to mind. Little did I know people names their torts Little Foot!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kaitlynn, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm a fan of people names for animals...hence something like "Jane" for the mare, or Billy for the little doggie, or even Sam I Am for the little baby Russian tortoise!

1028762jld543t69m.gif

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I have a Littlefoot. You hear a couple people with it here and there, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near popular names like Franklin or Shelly/Sheldon.

Name whichever one you like best. Both are great names and movies!!!

Kaitlynn

Minnesota, USA
Hello everyone! I first posted a couple days ago asking everyone opinions about 2 names that I really couldn't decide which one. I ended up going with the more unique name, Toothless. Toothless was hatched June 3, 2014. I purchased him from a woman from this forum. Her name is Carol S. I could not have asked for a better person to get him from. He is my first RT and Carol has made my experience a lot easier than a lot of people I was interested in buying from. She allowed me to choose my hatchling and even helped me choose when I did not even know where to start. She sent him to me on a Monday afternoon and I received Toothless at exactly 11:38am the next day. When unboxed him and getting him settled into his new home, the first thing this little guy did was eat. And I don't mean a little, this guy ate A LOT. Rather than sitting in a corner and being shy at all, this little guy wanted to explore, bask, eat, and repeat. I was very surprised! When researching what to expect from ordering from far away, people said that usually they hide right away and some have even gone over a week without eating from being so stressed. Not Toothless. I could not asked for better from both the breeder and my new RT. If someone was interested in buying a hatchling around this time, I would strongly recommend Carol before all of her little ones are gone! :)

All of these pictures were taken in just the first day I got Toothless! He is a active little thing!
photo (2).JPG

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Welcome! Nice little guy you have there. They are the best companion animals.