Russian Tortoise Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseLove

5 Year Member
First off I was wondering if i could use Scott's Organic Compost mixed with playsand for a safe substrate??

Also, my russian tortoise has been acting weird lately.
He is still eating normally, but he sleeps pretty much through the day.
Sometimes his eyes seem watery as well. I have him in a tortoise table with coconut bark. But I dont think he likes it which is why I want to change it.
But this morning I built an outdoor enclosure and he was very active in it.
To add, I was checking out his shell, and on his belly (underside of the shell)
I found a patch that was soft and I was able to push on it and I could see liquid inside it. I recently bought him from a store and he is about 3 years old so i do not know if they took proper care of him. I am trying to keep him healthy with calcium supplements, dandelions, clovers and UVB.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You need to act on the soft shell immediately. It is not a good sign that you can see through the shell material to the liquid inside the tortoise. It would be in the tortoise's best interest to see a vet with tortoise knowledge as soon as possible!

Welcome to the forum!! I hope we can help you with your tortoise.

TortoiseLove

5 Year Member
I know I should! The problem is we are going on vacation for 2 weeks tomorrow!
Do you think with proper calcium/UVB it could heal on it's own?
It seems to of not been so soft in the last week or so and is not a huge spot.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I rescued a box turtle a while back with the similar problem.Took her to the vet for a shot of panacur and she needed to be soaked(medicated) twice a day for two weeks before i saw improvement.That liquid that you see is most likely infection.I would listen to Yvonne and get your tort to a vet ASAP.Good luck and let us know how how he does,Tom.

TortoiseLove

5 Year Member
Also there is only one exotic vet in my area and they have had very bad reviews. I have no clue what to do.

would it also be very expensive?

could i use a Chlorhexidine Solution?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
If I were you, I really would go to a rep vet ASAP, before you leave for vacation. Is there another rep vet that you can go, not in your area but maybe a little further? explain them your situation and I am sure they will be able to do something to help you and your little guy.
Good luck and please keep us updated.

TortoiseLove

5 Year Member
I posted this in my earlier post : He loves to eat! He is outside most of the time in an outdoor pen and sleeps indoors at night. But just in case I also have a UVB light. He eats mostly dandelions, white clover, and red clover. I also sprinkle calcium on his meals.
It could of been from his past which I do not know much about. But this morning, I found that some liquid had come out of where it was soft so I took papertowl and a small amount of unscented soap and tried to squeeze out what I could. After cleaning it, I put some polysporin and a bandaid on it. When I checked on him an hour ago, the soft spot was no longer soft!!! And no more liquid.

So I hope by tomorrow the shell will stay soft and there will be no liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.