Russian Tortoise exhibiting odd behaviour

issymarquez

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hi, I have had my Russian Tortoise Bowser for about four months now. He was mistreated in his past, as when we got him he had swollen eyes shut and was extremely lethargic. We think he is between 4-5 years old, but we don't know. We nursed him back to health, and he went to the vet in the beginning of February and passed with flying colors: eyes were in great health, solid weight gain, overall happy baby. As of recently (about a week now) he hasn't been eating. This is extremely odd, because he would eat everything and anything. Then for a couple of days straight, he would throw his neck out and almost like gasp or bite the air, every time we came near him. It started to really concern me Saturday, and we took him to the vet. At the vet, his vitals were fine, there were no signs of sickness or pain and he wasn't even doing the neck thing anymore. That being said, he's done it a little sense but has barely eaten (we notice a little movement in the morning near his food bowl) and has been deeply sleeping all day for the last 2-3 days. I have a few thoughts: he did "meet" my three toed box turtle, but they did not touch or go near each other, and this was about only once or twice. I also moved him out to be near the sun more, because he had barely any natural light where he was previously at in my apartment. Perhaps I was paying too much attention to him, and stressed him out? Or he's being kinda standoffish because it's mating season? Regardless, I am unsure and have attached a current (past 20 mins) photo, where his neck looks kind of odd to me.

IMG_4773.jpegIMG_4772.jpeg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Do you think he could have been eating the fuzz from the bed?