Unusual behaviour - Russian tortoise

Geng

5 Year Member
I have a Russian totoise, male and I estimate he is around 5-6 years old. For a year he has been very active. Even during the cold dark winter months last year he was more active than usual. However, I think a month ago, he has slowed down alot. He doesn't come out his hide to roam, eat or bask. If I put him under the lamp he would just move back to his hide or the corner of his enclosure. Even after a soak he would go back to his hide immediately.

Since the temps are great and days are sunny I give him lots of outside time. I soak him outside when the temps are warm and he would try to climb out his bath. After his soak however, he walk to the end of my garden and sleep in the corner.

Good news is, he still does eat. But only if hand feed him sow thistles and dandlions. His whole enclosure settings and temps has been unchanged.

The only thing that may have triggered his lethargic behaviour is that his lamps are turned on a later time. Normally his lamps are turned on around 7.30 am by me. Because of my new night job I get home at 9 am, so his lamps are on around 9 am.

Lamp: MVB 80W and basking lamp 40W
Bask: 100F
Warm: 80-90F
Cool: 70F
Substrate: coco coir

I am planning to make a vet visit to do a medical check next month, but if you guys have any tips that would be great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can buy day/night timers online and set the timer to turn your light on earlier than 9a.

As long as he's eating, maybe you'll just have to wait him out.

Geng

5 Year Member
You can buy day/night timers online and set the timer to turn your light on earlier than 9a.

As long as he's eating, maybe you'll just have to wait him out.

Hello Yvonne, somehow he's become reaaally active the past few days. Won't stop roaming, climbing and destroys his whole enclosure.