Russian tortoise enclosure.

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
Finalizing my plans for my enclosure. I'm going to dig the boards 3-5 inches deep. Would a 12inch fence be enough for Russian tortoises not to climb? Owning turtles for years I know they are surprisingly well adept climbers. Here's a few images.

20210315_134712.jpg20210315_134744.jpg20210315_134829.jpg

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They dig and will tunnel! Line the base if you can with chicken wire or similar small mesh. Overlap beyond perimeter. I use builders breeze blocks as a perimeter for height and then finished with decorative bricks that overlap to avoid reach and climb. Use orchid bark substrate to provide a digging area and add low stones and hides for shelter also flower pot bases for food and water wallowing Others may have ideas. What a lovely enclosure it will make. Just make it escape and prey proof and you will have a happy tortoise.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
They dig and will tunnel! Line the base if you can with chicken wire or similar small mesh. Overlap beyond perimeter. I use builders breeze blocks as a perimeter for height and then finished with decorative bricks that overlap to avoid reach and climb. Use orchid bark substrate to provide a digging area and add low stones and hides for shelter also flower pot bases for food and water wallowing Others may have ideas. What a lovely enclosure it will make. Just make it escape and prey proof and you will have a happy tortoise.
Thanks Sarah

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Share pics when done or as you progress. Gives ides to others and you can ask questions etc....

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't think 12" is high enough. But if you wanted to, instead of making it higher, you could put board caps on the fence with an overhang extending into the enclosure. He wouldn't be able to get out then.

If it was me, I'd still go higher than 12". If you want to add more dirt, or even rocks or logs, you need to make sure nothing is close to the fence.