Gravel as digging barrier?

negrtalk

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
I'm setting up my enclosure for the winter, and my Russian and box turtle are looking for a place to brumate. The enclosure walls extend down about 4" below the dirt line, which is not deep enough to ensure they can't get out. I'm wondering if I dig a trench down deep enough along the perimeter of the enclosure and then backfill it will gravel if it would do the job as well as a wooden wall would. I figure the gravel won't have to be replaced due to rot, but wasn't sure if the Russian and box would be able to dig through the gravel.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm setting up my enclosure for the winter, and my Russian and box turtle are looking for a place to brumate. The enclosure walls extend down about 4" below the dirt line, which is not deep enough to ensure they can't get out. I'm wondering if I dig a trench down deep enough along the perimeter of the enclosure and then backfill it will gravel if it would do the job as well as a wooden wall would. I figure the gravel won't have to be replaced due to rot, but wasn't sure if the Russian and box would be able to dig through the gravel.
Gravel will not stop them digging, but it will pose a significant impaction risk.

It is not safe to brumate them outside. Do it inside under correct controlled conditions if you wan them to live.