Russian Tortoise Age?

Clueless Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
Hi,
So recently I've been on other threads that I have created wondering why my tortoise was so big for his age. After other members looking at him and his shell, they believe he is a wild caught RT. I was young when I got him so I had no idea, and I feel terrible. Other members also believe that he is older than he was said to be. Below are some images and stats on him. I know nobody can know for certain, but I would like to get as many people as possible to give me a rough estimate if they can. ( Side note: his shell has always been dinged up and scuffed, since I got him, and makes me believe even more he was wild caught.) Also is he overweight? Thanks:

Weight: 425 grams (15 oz)
SCL: 4.75 inches
Date I got him: August 1, 2014
Breed: Russian tortoise
Most likely WC ?

Attachments

• 20201025_165024.jpg
    20201025_165024.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20200807_100112.jpg
    20200807_100112.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20180822-222512.png
    Screenshot_20180822-222512.png
    173.4 KB · Views: 31

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
Hi,
So recently I've been on other threads that I have created wondering why my tortoise was so big for his age. After other members looking at him and his shell, they believe he is a wild caught RT. I was young when I got him so I had no idea, and I feel terrible. Other members also believe that he is older than he was said to be. Below are some images and stats on him. I know nobody can know for certain, but I would like to get as many people as possible to give me a rough estimate if they can. ( Side note: his shell has always been dinged up and scuffed, since I got him, and makes me believe even more he was wild caught.) Also is he overweight? Thanks:

Weight: 425 grams (15 oz)
SCL: 4.75 inches
Date I got him: August 1, 2014
Breed: Russian tortoise
Most likely WC ? looks kinda young my guess 5-7

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

Yes, he is wild caught. He could be ten years, he could be twenty. It’s access to food that drives a tortoise’s size, not age. What matters is he’s healthy and well taken care of.

He’s at or close to a full-male size (again, this is driven primarily by access to food). He is definitely not overweight, nor is a Russian with adequate enclosure space likely to get overweight. If they can walk it off, they will. It does look like he’s had more consistent access to food as of late, perhaps since you got him? The newest, greenish growth is nice and smooth, not so lumpy as the rest of him.

It’s not what you asked but please do not let your tortoise free roam. It doesn’t matter how careful you think you are; tortoises are designed to hide and they can move very fast when they want to. I’m pretty sure half of the Russian tortoise owners on this forum found theirs escaped on the street from someone who thought they were secure. It’s how I got mine! I have “lost” my tortoise when she is literally less than a few inches away from me in our yard.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
He is 18 yrs 6 months and 3 days old. And was found hiding under a bush in 2002 on a saturday afternoon. Hope this helps

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
He is 18 yrs 6 months and 3 days old. And was found hiding under a bush in 2002 on a saturday afternoon. Hope this helps
lol!

Mine was “ten to twenty” years old the day I found her, which happens to be four years ago today minus three days. So now she is fourteen to twenty-four years old, minus three days.

Not meaning to laugh at you OP; it’s just that we all started out with nearly your same question, only to find out we’d never know if we hadn’t hatched our tortoises ourselves.