Russian tort won't eat unless food is put directly in front of face

Toast

Okay.
I see from your previous post you say that the temp for the enclosure during the day is 90. Thats pretty high for a russians ambient temp. Is there a way to lower this? 90 on the hot side could be okay.
Do you have a uvb light? If yes, what kind of bulb is it & how many watts?
Yes i have a uvb light, ive shut it off for days at a time and the temperature stays at 90 (probably bc my room doesn't have an ac vent)

Toast

I think we need a lot more info with pics. The fake grass on the floor area and being fenced off is fine.
On to the enclosure. We need size of enclosure, temps, type of bulbs using. Picture would help a lot. His eyes should not be closed unless sleeping.
Yea im not sure if he jsut naturally squints bc even when i was at the store his eyes squint but petco said he was ok, i mean i probably shouldve known something was up but im a silly kid so i didn't realize. The enclosure is 50 gallon tank and both bulbs are 50 watts

Toast

Also, do you know how humid it is in his enclosure?
Im not sure, hopefully other members will correct me if i'm wrong but could high humidity for a russian make him want to squint/close his eyes? Since they are not use to it?
ae4a563773debf208acd4ef395a53446.jpg
this is what i dont get, his eyes were squinted when i brought him home even when i looked at him in the store but me being a lid thought he was just tired

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
ae4a563773debf208acd4ef395a53446.jpg
this is what i dont get, his eyes were squinted when i brought him home even when i looked at him in the store but me being a lid thought he was just tired
These types honestly arent that accurate :( i use to have those til a member told me of the inaccuracy. I went out to buy 2 digital thermometers with probes and my temps were off by 10F . My basking spot was a little over 110F.
The coil bulbs are the ones that spiral.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
And here's a lighting summary that explains the lighting requirements in more detail.

Your tort needs:

1. A basking lamp
This must hang vertically, not at an angle. Basking is essential to raise your tortoise's core temperature so it can digest food.

2. UVB light
Read the instructions for the source to see how close to the substrate it must be. UVB is essential so your tort can process dietary calcium and have healthy bones and shell.

Both 1 and 2 are available from the sun for those able to live outside.

UVB does not pass through glass or perspex(plexiglass) - light must be direct to be effective not through a window. Mesh screening can also interfere with UVB.

3. A minimum overnight temperature (about 65F for a Russian) and complete darkness at night to sleep.

Notes

(a) A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) provides combined UVB and Basking. Alternatively you can use 2 bulbs: a tube UVB and a reflector bulb for basking (a household reflector - not low energy or halogen - from a hardware store will do the job; it's the wattage that counts)

(b) Ignore any references to UVA you may read - it's misleading marketing speak.

(c) Compact coil UVB harms tortoise eyes and must not be used.

(d) Basking and UVB should be on a timer so the light(s) are on for 12 hours a day. Temperature under the basking is regulated by its height above the substrate.

(e) Overnight, depending on your home, you may need additional heat. You get this from a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) which must be on a thermostat.

(f) Torts have outstanding colour vision and love red and purple food. Coloured heat lamps colour tank decor and torts don't always apply intelligence to what they eat, resulting them in eating tank decor. Coloured bulbs should not be used.

Measurements

There are 4 important temperatures that you must know for an indoor enclosure.
- Directly under the basking lamp
- Warm side
- Cool side
- Overnight Minimum

You will need digital thermometers for accuracy.

A temperature gun thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) measures temperature accurately in specific places like directly under the basking lamp.

A min/max thermometer so you know the min/max temperatures in your home by day and night.

You should also get a good digital probe hygrometer to measure humidity.

Thermometers and hygrometers that stick to the side of the enclosure, especially analogue ones, tend to be less accurate.

Toast

These types honestly arent that accurate :( i use to have those til a member told me of the inaccuracy. I went out to buy 2 digital thermometers with probes and my temps were off by 10F . My basking spot was a little over 110F.
The coil bulbs are the ones that spiral.
01640e8f20bbae961071017f0c469b07.jpg
these are thw lamps

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Stop using the coil bulb and see if things improve. Not all the coil bulbs are bad and not all tortoises have problems with them, but not using it will tell you if that's the problem. It might take a week or two, possibly longer as I'm sure that's what the store was using also. Those type bulbs are not meant to be hung that way either. If you're tort gets outside for natural sunlight 3-4 times a week then you can use a regular incondescent bulb for added heat and light. Otherwise a flourescent tube UVB or a UVB mercury vapor bulb. If temps are getting too high, then put the light(not the Mercury one) on a thermostat or put the ceramic heat emitter on one.

Toast

Stop using the coil bulb and see if things improve. Not all the coil bulbs are bad and not all tortoises have problems with them, but not using it will tell you if that's the problem. It might take a week or two, possibly longer as I'm sure that's what the store was using also. Those type bulbs are not meant to be hung that way either. If you're tort gets outside for natural sunlight 3-4 times a week then you can use a regular incondescent bulb for added heat and light. Otherwise a flourescent tube UVB or a UVB mercury vapor bulb. If temps are getting too high, then put the light(not the Mercury one) on a thermostat or put the ceramic heat emitter on one.
Okay thank you. Ill do that.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Okay thank you. Ill do that.
I would look at other things as the issue. What is the humidity, the substrate, etc.? Water dish? Diet? Sometimes people get carried away on one non-issue and overlook the real one.

Toast

I would look at other things as the issue. What is the humidity, the substrate, etc.? Water dish? Diet? Sometimes people get carried away on one non-issue and overlook the real one.
The humidity says its abput 45 his water dish is in the tank and he uses it but i also soak him daily for a bit and mostly vegetables

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The humidity says its about 45
That's very low. Please read the care guide. You need to get it much higher.

his water dish is in the tank and he uses it but i also soak him daily for a bit
A bit?
Every day? Once a week? Occasionally?
5 minutes? 20 minutes? Longer?
Soaking needs to be for a minimum of 20 minutes and a minimum of 3 times a week. Longer soaks and more frequent soaks are needed in warmer and dryer conditions.

and mostly vegetables
More detail needed. What 'vegetables'?

I'm sorry, but for us to help you we need specific information as we can't second guess what you mean.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I would dampen the substrate. Do you have a hide? What is it?

For diet, you need leafy green veggies, not tomatoes and peas. Throw in green weeds from outside. Get a calcium supplement. Perhaps think about getting some Mazuri.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you can find a cheap aquarium hood that fits your tortoise habitat, I would mount that UVB bulb in an aquarium hood so that it lays horizontally instead of vertically like it is.

Toast

If you can find a cheap aquarium hood that fits your tortoise habitat, I would mount that UVB bulb in an aquarium hood so that it lays horizontally instead of vertically like it is.
I have a cover for it, its like metal mesh i mean i can try that but my mom doesn't want me to have it touching the cover incase if it knocks off or something but i will try to convince her thank you

Toast

I would dampen the substrate. Do you have a hide? What is it?

For diet, you need leafy green veggies, not tomatoes and peas. Throw in green weeds from outside. Get a calcium supplement. Perhaps think about getting some Mazuri.
I have a hide and they do nt have one the size of toast at every store ive been to so i am using a long wide box
I dont feed him tomatoes and those things, i get dandelions from my yard and give him those and i also feed lettuce alot