HELP, my hatchling won't eat. & his left eye won't open all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustybread

5 Year Member
I'm not sure what to do, I washed him under lukewarm water, but his eye still seems to bother him. He itches it a lot. And he hasn't been eating his food, even though I put fresh fruits and veges in his tank. I also mist his tank about two - three times a day. I'm not sure what's wrong, can someone help my baby yellowfoot?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of lighting, heating and humidity do you have, readings and the kind you are using? What kind of substrate? Also, if you are using any kind of coil bulbs, get rid of it ASAP, they are known to cause eye problems.

Rustybread

5 Year Member
wellington said:
What kind of lighting, heating and humidity do you have, readings and the kind you are using? What kind of substrate? Also, if you are using any kind of coil bulbs, get rid of it ASAP, they are known to cause eye problems.

Would a long florescent light act the same as a coil bulb? I have one on his tank. That might be the problem

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
No those bulbs are just fine(the tube bulbs not the coil pig tail ones). Whats the temp in your enclosure? Sounds like its too hot. Does the other eye weep or look like hes crying? Could be either too hot 90s-100 is really warm for a yellow foot. Also could be some debris in its eye. What kind of substrate do you use? Another possibility is too much vitamin A or even too little. What is his diet mainly comprised of. Do you feed lots of carrots, squash, fruits?

Rustybread

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
No those bulbs are just fine. Whats the temp in your enclosure? Sounds like its too hot. Does the other eye weep or look like hes crying? Could be either too hot 90s-100 is really warm for a yellow foot. Also could be some debris in its eye. What kind of substrate do you use? Another possibility is too much vitamin A or even too little. What is his diet mainly comprised of. Do you feed lots of carrots, squash, fruits?

His eye is mostly squinted, & it looks a little dry around it. I use a finely shredded coconut bedding which seems to stick to his body/face a lot. & I usually feed him shredded carrots or freeze dried fruit with water.
For the lighting, he has a long fluorescent bulb, and a red night time heat bulb that is always kept on. I always keep it on at night because I sleep with the window open and my room usually gets a little chilly.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well is his enclosure sealed at the top sides? Sounds like the little guy is showing signs of an Upper Respiratory Infection. Usually the eyes can get puffy first. Does he blow bubbles at all? If you stick with a constant 80-85 degrees gradient(meaning air temperature in the enclosure, substrate temperature. All around 80-85. A lot of times the thermometers are reading the heat emitted directly from the bulb and not the cool pockets of dead space air in the enclosure. Also if its glass, the cool nights with the window open can chill the entire enclosure. I would suggest maybe placing the setup in a room that stays stable in temperatures. Temperature fluctuations are a good cause to URI. That being said another fuel to a URI is spraying the enclosure and the moist wet substrate getting cold or cool too. Warm humid water sprayed then allowed to dry out is best to maintain humidity. A lot of times humidity rings as "oh water". Well humidity is only beneficial when it is warm true moisture. Cold water or damp cool substrate will cause a URI in no time.

So that being said I would stabilize a constant temperature ALL the way around. Meaning the room too. Remember tortoises are cold blooded so 70 feels great to us but very cold to them. Then when it warms up to 80s during the day it shocks the immune system and this is evidently showing signs of it by swelling of the eye. Easy fix for yah though.

Status
Not open for further replies.