outdoor enclosure/nightbox questions

baldegale

Lol we should make a thread just for ourselves ;)

i used to have an 8’x4’ closed chamber in my room but he always said it was too big and when we went to take it apart to move it to our new house he messed it up intentionally and wouldnt let me build another of the same size. (mind you ALL of my enclosures come out of my pocket)

baldegale

really my best bet, even though i dont want to, is to find someone who can give him a proper outdoor enclosure around me but i dont know of anyone.

baldegale

he decided to use the wood for flooring in the attic by the way so i couldnt reuse it^

MountainFox

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
@Tom, those space requirements are drastically larger than anything I’ve ever seen as a recommended “minimum”. Did you really mean to say that you think the required size for a single six inch redfoot would be 30ft by 30ft? Yard space feasibility of these dimensions aside, of course, bigger is better. I just don’t think it’s fair to say that a tortoise couldn’t be happy, healthy and thriving in a smaller space. You must live on 10 acres! To go as far as to say he should give away his tort because he can’t give it what it needs feels quite harsh. I cringe at even questioning you because of your experience (which I value and respect immensely), I just don’t want @baldegale to give away a pet he loves based on this advice. This is all said with good intent, so please don’t bring the wrath of science down on me. We could argue that you shouldn’t have a redfoot if you don’t have a rain forest!

@baldegale, you should ask the redfoot keepers in the RF forum what their outdoor pen sizes are for adults. From what I’ve seen in the million posts I’ve read, most have multiple adults thriving in smaller spaces than 30ft by 30ft. Regardless, you clearly love your tiny dinosaur and want the best for him. Good luck on the build!

baldegale

@Tom, those space requirements are drastically larger than anything I’ve ever seen as a recommended “minimum”. Did you really mean to say that you think the required size for a single six inch redfoot would be 30ft by 30ft? Yard space feasibility of these dimensions aside, of course, bigger is better. I just don’t think it’s fair to say that a tortoise couldn’t be happy, healthy and thriving in a smaller space. You must live on 10 acres! To go as far as to say he should give away his tort because he can’t give it what it needs feels quite harsh. I cringe at even questioning you because of your experience (which I value and respect immensely), I just don’t want @baldegale to give away a pet he loves based on this advice. This is all said with good intent, so please don’t bring the wrath of science down on me. We could argue that you shouldn’t have a redfoot if you don’t have a rain forest!

@baldegale, you should ask the redfoot keepers in the RF forum what their outdoor pen sizes are for adults. From what I’ve seen in the million posts I’ve read, most have multiple adults thriving in smaller spaces than 30ft by 30ft. Regardless, you clearly love your tiny dinosaur and want the best for him. Good luck on the build!

i was gonna build it anyways but my dad shut me down on using cinder blocks and i have no idea what else to use and where i can build it because he now wont let me use that spot that i mentioned earlier so im kinda out of luck. my last option is building an 8x4 or 8x3 indoor enclosure but thats not enough room.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thank you for being tactful, but I think you should go back and re-read what I wrote.

• I didn't say 30x30 was a minimum. I said 8x8 is too small, and I think it is, and I simply said that I use 30x30 for a tortoise that size to give the OP something to reference. I then recommend he go bigger than 8x8 if possible.
  • I never suggested he get rid of his tortoise or give it away. That was his idea and his words in response to his frustration with his parent not letting him go any bigger than 8 feet by 8 feet and his Dad using his lumber, reducing his cage size, and refusing to let him put the outdoor enclosure where he wants it. I never even commented on his comments. I have recommended people give their tortoises away in the past when they are unwilling or unable to meet the tortoises needs, but I didn't feel that was warranted in this case.
I'm happy that you feel the way you do and that you were willing to call me out on outlandish remarks, but in this case, I think you've misunderstood what was said. Please feel free to question anything I say in the future. This will keep me honest and careful about what I say, and it will ensure that good info is getting out.

MountainFox

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Raleigh, NC
@Tom, you are completely correct. I definitely failed at reading comprehension here, and I’m sorry! I went back and reread the thread, and I’m not even quite sure how I misinterpreted your feedback. You were helpful and informative, not at all critical. I’m wondering if I got several threads mixed up in my response. Regardless, thank YOU for your tactful response and all the help you share.

Reactions: Tom

baldegale

Thank you for being tactful, but I think you should go back and re-read what I wrote.

• I didn't say 30x30 was a minimum. I said 8x8 is too small, and I think it is, and I simply said that I use 30x30 for a tortoise that size to give the OP something to reference. I then recommend he go bigger than 8x8 if possible.
  • I never suggested he get rid of his tortoise or give it away. That was his idea and his words in response to his frustration with his parent not letting him go any bigger than 8 feet by 8 feet and his Dad using his lumber, reducing his cage size, and refusing to let him put the outdoor enclosure where he wants it. I never even commented on his comments. I have recommended people give their tortoises away in the past when they are unwilling or unable to meet the tortoises needs, but I didn't feel that was warranted in this case.
I'm happy that you feel the way you do and that you were willing to call me out on outlandish remarks, but in this case, I think you've misunderstood what was said. Please feel free to question anything I say in the future. This will keep me honest and careful about what I say, and it will ensure that good info is getting out.

@Tom, you are completely correct. I definitely failed at reading comprehension here, and I’m sorry! I went back and reread the thread, and I’m not even quite sure how I misinterpreted your feedback. You were helpful and informative, not at all critical. I’m wondering if I got several threads mixed up in my response. Regardless, thank YOU for your tactful response and all the help you share.

i think giving him to someone else with a bigger enclosure is the best bet right now. now i was told that 8’x8’ is too big for my backyard by my dad.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i think giving him to someone else with a bigger enclosure is the best bet right now. now i was told that 8’x8’ is too big for my backyard by my dad.
I'm sorry man.

Parents aren't perfect. I know mine made decisions that I disagreed with. Soon enough you will be on your own and you'll remember all the good things your parents did for you. They really are your biggest allies in the whole world, so be kind, courteous and respectful while you are living under their roof. Remember that its your Dad's yard. If he's not into tortoises, well, that's just how it is. When you own the yard you can fill the whole darn thing with as many tortoises as you want and put the enclosures wherever you want.

My mom wasn't too keen on my animals either, and I'm sorry to admit that I wasn't as respectful about it as I should have been. Don't make the mistakes I made. Don't focus on the one thing you are not happy about. Focus on all the good things your parents have done for you over all these years.

baldegale

I'm sorry man.

Parents aren't perfect. I know mine made decisions that I disagreed with. Soon enough you will be on your own and you'll remember all the good things your parents did for you. They really are your biggest allies in the whole world, so be kind, courteous and respectful while you are living under their roof. Remember that its your Dad's yard. If he's not into tortoises, well, that's just how it is. When you own the yard you can fill the whole darn thing with as many tortoises as you want and put the enclosures wherever you want.

My mom wasn't too keen on my animals either, and I'm sorry to admit that I wasn't as respectful about it as I should have been. Don't make the mistakes I made. Don't focus on the one thing you are not happy about. Focus on all the good things your parents have done for you over all these years.

im not disrespectful about it at all, i just agree with it and move on. when i was younger id try and show my side but realized it was pointless and just made him more mad. its just aggravating to me when he agreed to all of this beforehand and now that i have the money hes going back on what he said. he wants to put him in a 8’x3’ trough which to me is illogical in multiple ways. 1) its too small 2) its way more expensive than building something 3) theyre a lot harder to find 4) cant be taken apart to transport in car 5) at that point i mine aswell keep him in an indoor enclosure. but i dont say any of this stuff to him because it just goes in one ear and out the other.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
im not disrespectful about it at all, i just agree with it and move on. when i was younger id try and show my side but realized it was pointless and just made him more mad. its just aggravating to me when he agreed to all of this beforehand and now that i have the money hes going back on what he said. he wants to put him in a 8’x3’ trough which to me is illogical in multiple ways. 1) its too small 2) its way more expensive than building something 3) theyre a lot harder to find 4) cant be taken apart to transport in car 5) at that point i mine aswell keep him in an indoor enclosure. but i dont say any of this stuff to him because it just goes in one ear and out the other.
I feel your pain man. You have my sympathy.

baldegale

I'm sorry man.

If he's not into tortoises, well, that's just how it is. When you own the yard you can fill the whole darn thing with as many tortoises as you want and put the enclosures wherever you want.

the funny part to me is the tortoise was his idea to get 5 years ago and hes had tortoises/turtles before but apparently he refuses to take care of them properly.

MountainFox

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Raleigh, NC
Before giving him away, one thing you could consider is whether you can build an irregular shaped enclosure that utilizes awkward/unusable space. If the enclosure is less “in the way”, it might be an acceptable option to your dad. As an example, I’m currently planning large outdoor enclosure, swing set placement, and hammock space. The second two are for my son. I was originally going to take a large rectangular corner of the yard, but as I’ve been watching Libbon “patrolling” the perimeter, I’m thinking of creating something longer and irregular. There’s a shed in the backyard that’s about 3’-4’ from the fence. I can’t use that space for anything, but I could run the enclosure behind it, using the full length of that fence side, and have a wider square section at both ends. I actually end up being able to use another “unusable” corner of the fence with this layout. It maximizes linear feet AND square feet, but it’s not taking over the yard. I couldn’t do much with that area anyway.

Obviously, if you feel like the best thing for your tort is to rehome, you should do that. For some reason it breaks my heart a little! If you do decide to rehome him, please let me know. I’d be interested in adopting him.

baldegale

Before giving him away, one thing you could consider is whether you can build an irregular shaped enclosure that utilizes awkward/unusable space. If the enclosure is less “in the way”, it might be an acceptable option to your dad. As an example, I’m currently planning large outdoor enclosure, swing set placement, and hammock space. The second two are for my son. I was originally going to take a large rectangular corner of the yard, but as I’ve been watching Libbon “patrolling” the perimeter, I’m thinking of creating something longer and irregular. There’s a shed in the backyard that’s about 3’-4’ from the fence. I can’t use that space for anything, but I could run the enclosure behind it, using the full length of that fence side, and have a wider square section at both ends. I actually end up being able to use another “unusable” corner of the fence with this layout. It maximizes linear feet AND square feet, but it’s not taking over the yard. I couldn’t do much with that area anyway.

Obviously, if you feel like the best thing for your tort is to rehome, you should do that. For some reason it breaks my heart a little! If you do decide to rehome him, please let me know. I’d be interested in adopting him.

that would be a VERY long drive for you though

MountainFox

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Raleigh, NC
It’s a hike, but not impossible (not sure where you are in TN). If you decide for sure that you need to rehome him, just keep me in mind. I’ll have a bunch of questions, but no need to get into it all now. I’m still hoping you can make a crazy tortoise run under/around yard obstacles that works for you and your dad.

baldegale

It’s a hike, but not impossible (not sure where you are in TN). If you decide for sure that you need to rehome him, just keep me in mind. I’ll have a bunch of questions, but no need to get into it all now. I’m still hoping you can make a crazy tortoise run under/around yard obstacles that works for you and your dad.

im in lewisburg, TN. its southern central