Russian Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpham93

5 Year Member
Does my Russian's shell look okay? adopted him from a lady 3-4 weeks ago.

Male 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Puckles🐢

5 Year Member
wellington said:
A little dinged up a bit, most likely WC, but to me looks fine.

Does your tortoise look okay? no. But if he is eating, basking, sleeping and being soaked he should be healthy :)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
His shell looks a little dry. How often are you soaking him? Also, check your humidity. Feed a large variety of greens with water dripping from them. Don't feed spinach too often.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
That shell looks like a wild caught tort. Soaking won't change anything :) That shell tells a story of life experiences :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He shows a lot of growth that happened under not-so-good conditions, but he'll be fine. Just give him a good diet, with calcium-rich foods, plenty of sunshine and keep him hydrated and he'll do great.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
It looks a bit dry you should try giving him a wee soak in lukewarm water for about 15-20 mins to keep him hydrated aswell

I <3 my torts!

cally

5 Year Member
Ok so this may sound weird but it worked. They do sell in a white tub shell rub- however to help him out n get him started- they said i could use a dab of vaseline because its safe with no harmful ingredients - i put a tiny dab on my guy( it goes a long way) and just gently rubbed it in all over the top part only of his shell- idk what it did but he came out and seemed it love it! And it soaked in by the next day which made his shell toons better!!

Cally- russian tort

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Vaseline on a shell will heat up under the sun or under a basking light or heat emitter. Remember it's an oil based product and will start to get hot and burn under heat. I would caution you and don't apply anymore and to try and remove what is there. I know it may make the shell look better but correct humidity and warm soaks and correct diet are the main ways to a better looking shell and overall health.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using TortForum mobile app

cally

5 Year Member
Oh my! Thank you for that! Im so sorry to give bad advice there :/ it did soak in when he was running around the house and he had a soak .. But thank i so much! I have only had kale a week and am completely new at this- ive only been going by what ppl have said at the pet store :/

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Could u tell me how he looks now?? ImageUploadedByTortForum1372525656.782953.jpg
Is he ok??

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Last edited by a moderator:

cally

5 Year Member
Wait i do???

Cally- Russian Tort <3

And how do you know? I have been soo curious! Is there any other pics i could provide to help?? Thanks soo much

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Now i feel like all the information i received from the pet store advisor has been wrong :( i feel like i am so new at this and doing it all wrong- ive raised to beautiful veiled chameleons so i thought i knew somewhat :/

Cally- Russian Tort <3

cally

5 Year Member
I have research the internet so much! :( there are so many ppl who say to do one thing- and then ppl who say not to- one pet store advisor told me to feed kale baby food bananas and the other said absolutely not! In the same store :/ whats ur opinion pam?? I will check out the website as well.. Thank u so much

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Oh my pam! The pics were so helpful- kale does mot have a slit- its a well females view and kale does have a spur at the end of tail

Cally- Russian Tort <3

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I never give mine fruit some people do I never do

cally

5 Year Member
Yeah... I thought it was all veges diet- kale wont eat anyything but leaves and spring mix tho :( nothing else im worried

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Status
Not open for further replies.