Russian pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I know they are supposedly hardy, and stay small. But what is your favorite thing about your Russian, or the species as a whole? Are there any drawbacks?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Not any that I have found.

Pros-

1. Adult size

2. Personality - like mini Sulcatas

3. Not picky eaters

I just love my Russians. All four of them are awesome.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think my favorite thing about them is that they are little pigs when it comes to eating. It's sort of refreshing to know no matter what I toss in front of them, they will almost always eat it all up in a feeding freenzy. I mainly work with Hingebacks and the difference in feeding is a relief and reduces stress for me, especially when dealing with a non eating or limited eating Hingeback.;)

I think however their eating abilities is also to me one of their major downsides. :D For the most part anything I try to plant in their enclosure is as gone the second it's in the ground. :D

Now folks, don't go throwing stuff at me for this next comment, but overall to me, they also are not as attractive as many other tortoises are and that's a major down I think. That being said, I do have this thing for not being able to resist the very old Russians and I adore my friends colony which is made up of all blonde Russians.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
See, I think hatchling Russians especially are one of the cutest dang things ever :D My favorite one (shhh, don't tell them!) is my little black female, Darya. She is full of it, too, more so that the others, except maybe the boy, Vanya.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the only con I can think of is my russian tortoises like their vodka a little to much, besides that I can't think of any, and I also think they won't win any beauty pageants.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pros:
Very hardy, great appetite, not picky, very outgoing, unafraid, very active, breed easily, easy to house and feed due to their smaller stature, hibernate half the year so you don't have to heat or care for them.

Cons:
Often aggressive toward cagemates (not as bad in larger groups), ugliest tortoise I can think of (but I still like them), hibernate half the year so you don't get to enjoy them.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
the only con I can think of is my russian tortoises like their vodka a little to much, besides that I can't think of any, and I also think they won't win any beauty pageants.

Can they handle it or do you need the number of your local Tipsy Tortoise rehab?

I guess I would put the hibernation issue as a con. Depending on if you want or feel you need to hibernate them, if your up to hibernating them or if you want them up all year long. Then just because you want them up all year, doesn't mean they will give up the idea of hibernating so easily.;)

Another con some folks might have is unlike a lot of other tortoises (such as a redfoot), you need to decide if you want or object to having/buying a WC (wild caught). The majority of adults available are WC and CB (captive bred) young are still not as easy to find locally often as an adult.

Another Pro would be that they are often available in rescues, if going that route has a huge appeal to you. :)

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
='148496' dateline='1278912274']
dmmj said:

Can they handle it or do you need the number of your local Tipsy Tortoise rehab?

I guess I would put the hibernation issue as a con. Depending on if you want or feel you need to hibernate them, if your up to hibernating them or if you want them up all year long. Then just because you want them up all year, doesn't mean they will give up the idea of hibernating so easily.;)

Another con some folks might have is unlike a lot of other tortoises (such as a redfoot), you need to decide if you want or object to having/buying a WC (wild caught). The majority of adults available are WC and CB (captive bred) young are still not as easy to find locally often as an adult.

Another Pro would be that they are often available in rescues, if going that route has a huge appeal to you. :)

[/quote]

Hey vodka and I are good friends, most of the time :D So that should not be a problem!

As far as hibernating, I've read tons and am not real comfy with the idea, yet. So we'll see. Rescues...Does CL count as rescuing? :shy: I'm supposed to meet up with a lady on Tuesday...:p

BuffsTorts

5 Year Member
I have had several 4 legged friends over the past decade, dragons, lizards, rats, hedgehogs, frogs, 2 halfs of a spider...
I did not find what I was looking for until I got the Russian.

My first Russian, within a week it had shown me his personality, kinda goofy, not so well thought out actions, sometimes clumsy, sees me as god, gives me attitude if I make him wait till after work for food, after I saw all this, no way i would ever give him up!
So now I own 3 a year later, and plan to start a breeding colony because I demand certified captive bred russians are available in my province.
They all have a different personality, and all treat me as a god. They are all goofy, and will run through/over anything to come see if I will give them food.
They stay small which is why I bought them as I have no yard, they are soo easy to get food for.
They may not look the best, as there are some really awesome looking torts out there, but meh, who am I to judge, my male seems to think my superbly ugly by my standard female is attractive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwoU-6SAefc&playnext_from=TL&videos=gjGQGAmnAx4

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
pugsandkids said:
Hey vodka and I are good friends, most of the time :D So that should not be a problem!

As far as hibernating, I've read tons and am not real comfy with the idea, yet. So we'll see. Rescues...Does CL count as rescuing? :shy: I'm suppose to meet up with a lady on Tuesday...:p

Yes CL can often be tortoises in desperate need of rescuing.;) Congrats on your pending new arrival! :)

I just thought another con...they are great climbers! :D So make certain you keep that in mind with his enclosure. :cool:

Adarsta86

5 Year Member
Maine/New Jersey/Vermont
I'm still new to the whole "owning a tortoise" thing, but I have to say my russian is the best pet I've ever had. Within three days Rasputin began showing me his personality. He's a very curious little guy, and he likes to get into trouble. He's very interested in my fiancee's family dog, even though the dog thinks he looks like a really cool squeaky toy. They are pigs! But, rasputin is a very picky eater. He's gentle, loves the back of his neck stroked, and likes to follow people around. I haven't really found a con yet.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
Charlie has been a complete joy! He has brought out Matt's Maternial instictints that show me up! Charlie has put a few gray hairs on his head! He is so adventurous and funny...he keeps us on our toes and is very stubborn.

Con-when he has gotten into the Absolute, he forgets to put his head in when sliding down objects!!!

BuffsTorts

5 Year Member
Weloveourtortoise said:
Charlie has been a complete joy! He has brought out Matt's Maternial instictints that show me up! Charlie has put a few gray hairs on his head! He is so adventurous and funny...he keeps us on our toes and is very stubborn.

Con-when he has gotten into the Absolute, he forgets to put his head in when sliding down objects!!!

Silly torts, mine often forgets to tuck in his head when it would be so easy.
I'll check my bottle storage tomorrow!
Pro - They are awesome

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Aagghh, she flaked! I was leery about going through Craigslist...

fgately

5 Year Member
I have only had my three for a few weeks, and I love them! I believe (just my opinion, so please no haters) that torts should be out side. Mine are thriving. Eating like crazy and behaving the way wild torties would behave. Been VERY hot this past week in SoCal. The torts get up in the morning, gobble down some grass, or flowers, or weeds, or aloe, and then dig down under a plant for the remainder of the day. Just before sundown, they all go and eat again.

My male Boris, was corious about my mom's purple toenail polish, so he scrambled up to check them out. He actually kind of chased my mom until he could try and bite them! It was hilarious, but so interesting to watch his determination.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I'm actually surprised to hear that so many people think Russians are unattractive tortoises!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Well, she contacted me and said she can meet with tomorrow or Thursday. Of course today I come down with a stomach bug. I WILL be able to muscle through if it actually works out ;D
Cross your fingers!

apjohnson

5 Year Member
Aurora, Colorado
ChiKat said:
I'm actually surprised to hear that so many people think Russians are unattractive tortoises!

Me too! I think my Levi is the cutest thing ever in life! I've been looking at other species of turtle and just couldn't see having any other! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.