Redfoot pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaddieLynn

10 Year Member!
Well, someone who was thinking about getting a Russian made a "Russian pros and cons" post in the Russian tort forum, so I decided to be a copy cat and make one for redfoots!

Tell me what you think the pros and cons are for redfoots, and why. Fire away!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I don't have any redfoot experience. But, I got a lot of great info from my Russian thread. I hope you get lots of feedback. I'll be reading all of it, redfoots are soo cute!

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Well I don't own a RF...yet...but one pro is their physical appearance! They are a beautiful specimen. Just check out their yellow spots on their shells! I think a con would be misting its habitat and monitoring the humidity, but that comes with the hobby.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Redfoot con - large adult size.

Redfoot pro - easy to feed, easy on the budget due to needs, and GREAT personality!!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Pro's....he's VERY friendly and sweet, curious, un-afraid, loaded with personality, and he's inside all winter, so I don't have to miss him.
Con's.....As he gets bigger he will need more space while he's inside.

luck102573

5 Year Member
Iowa
Pro's- would be having such a great forum to visit if you have questions on what ever you decide to get. I love watching and enter-acting with them. I also like their coloring. Getting the feeding down was simple. I love watching them soak them selves that is the best part! :)

Con's- Trying to keep the humidity stable inside their enclosure and they are addicting...lol

[email protected]

5 Year Member
I have read that if you put a warm humidifier and somehow attach into the cage it gives enough moisture. does that work?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Pros:
- One of the most personable and intelligent pet tortoise species (not that I am biased or anything!)
- Attractive
- Babies are easy to sell
- If healthy and properly housed, many individuals will spend some time exploring and being active and curious
- Flexible and adaptable. Can tolerate a wide range of cares and diets and is tolerant of lots of mistakes
- Easy to feed
- Once habitat is set up correctly, easy to care for
- In an outdoor habitat, are not big on digging or climbing (but still need intelligently designed pens.)
- Does not take very elaborate heating or lighting set-ups
- Easy to get healthy, inexpensive, captive-bred animals

Cons:
- Does require more humidity, especially when young, than some other common pet tortoises
- Can get very large. 12" shell length is common. If using the 8 shell lengths by 4 shell lengths pen guideline, you need an 8' x 4' pen minimum.
- On-line care articles can be confusing and conflicting
- Humid housing can cause its own problems- bugs, smells, etc. This is all manageable, however
- Does not need cage mates, but generally does better in a small herd, as long as there is adequate space, etc.
- Will quickly outgrow beautifully planted baby homes and trample plants, decor, etc. It is a bit tricky to offer older Red-foots beautiful homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.