Russian Not Eating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I HAVE A FEMALE RUSSIAN THAT I HAVE HAD FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS.SHE HAS STOPPED EATING THE LAST WEEK OR SO.I ALSO HAVE A MALE RUSSIAN TORT THAT CANNOT SEEM TO EAT ENOUGH!I HAVE NOT CHANGED ANYTHING.I WAS WONDERING IF IT COULD JUST BE THE TIME OF YEAR?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
Is she doing she doing any pacing? Mounting of the male? Basking more than usual?

Danny

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
NO, ALL SHE WANTS TO DO IS HIDE IN HER BOX.SHE LOOKS GOOD, CLEAR EYES, NO BUBBLES FROM NOSTRILS AND SHE HAS A GOOD WEIGHT.SHE IS ALSO ALERT, SHE JUST WONT EAT!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Do you keep your male and female together? Do you weigh her regularly? Has she gained any weight lately? (we are thinking maybe gravid-with egg? rather than sick). What type of substrate do you have her on?

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I KEEP THEM TOGETHER AND THE SUBSTRATE IS RABBIT PEL.I DO NOT WEIGH THEM.SOMEONE I SPOKE WITH TODAY MENTIONED THAT TORTS CAN FEEL CHANGES IN THE BAROMETRIC PRESSURE AND WILL SOMETIMES SLOW DOWN?THEY ALSO SAID TO HAVE HER CHECKED FOR BLADDER STONES!IF SHE IS NOT EATING BY EARLY NEXT WEEK I WILL TAKE HER TO THE VET.I HAVE HAD HER FOR A LONG TIME AND SHE IS NOT HERSELF...ALSO THEY HAVE NOT BEEN TOGETHER VERY LONG, MAYBE A MONTH OR SO.THANKS, TOM.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Did you quarantine your new addition first? Before you put it in with your female Russian? If not, it could have passed on an illness to your female.

Rabbit pellets are not the best substrate for torts either. Try aspen bedding. They can burrow in it, it does not cause impactions, and is cheap.

Oh....and why do you type in all caps? its kind of difficult to read (and did you know, that it is the internet/text form of yelling? That's why most only use caps on words they really want noticed)

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
YES, I DID QUARANTINE THE MALE BEFORE I PUT THEM TOGETHER.I THINK IT WAS AROUND A FIVE MONTH QUARANTINE. I ALSO HAVE TRIED ASPEN BUT I PREFER THE RAB. PEL....SORRY FOR THE CAPS, I DID NOT WANT YOU TO THINK I WAS YELLING, I AM BLIND IN ONE EYE DUE TO AN UNFORTUNATE ACCIDENT AND IT IS EASIER FOR ME TO READ/TYPE!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The problem with the rabbit pellets is that of they eat them, it is way too high in protein for them. They also tend to mold and harbor harmful bacteria, and are very dehydrating to the tortoises.

You can be seriously compromising the health of you tortoises by using them.

Kristina

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
TKCARDANDCOIN, I understand the problem with you viewing the type. Therefore I am bolding and enlarging the type in hopes you can read it easier without using caps as did Kristina. If you prefer a pellet type substrate (which I too do not recommend) I would use "Country Critters" it is a Pellet; like rabbit pellets but is made of grass hays instead of Alfalfa. If your torts have been together for more than a month yes your tort could be gravid. An x ray would confirm this. She will most likely not lay in the rabbit pellets but needs a damp dirt substrate.
If you have kept her in the same enclosure and with the same temp and humidity for all the time that you have had her and she has not displayed this behavior before, my thoughts would be she is off her feed because of her being gravid or ill, instead of thinking it was time to hibernate or that of the barometric pressure. A trip to the vet may be in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.