Russian not eating

Louisa Rudland

My female 2 y/o Russian has recently stopped eating. Her drinking is fine and she's recently been treated for worms (panacur) however she won't eat therefore poo and I can't get a sample back to the vet to see if she's okay now :/ urinating fine.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Temps are usually the cause. What are yours?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I thin panacur puts them off food for a bit. Check temps for sure and also try a warm soak. That always seems to get mine to eat.

Louisa Rudland

Basking 32C
Cool end is low 20s, room temperature.
I've been giving her soaks everyday (as usual) still not eating ): and she wasn't eating before the panacur was given although the vet did mention it can make them off their food

Thanks both of you for replying to quick!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
It will definitely put them off, offer food everyday

Louisa Rudland

Anyone know why?
And I've been offering food for a week now I know they can go a while without eating and I don't mean to be persistent but is there anything else I can do?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Upsets the stomach I Believe

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, de-worming medication is poison. That's why it kills the worms. So you're poisoning your tortoise. It takes a while for it to get out of their system.

But since your tortoise had stopped eating prior to being de-wormed, you'll have to try to figure out some other reason.

1. If they can't get their inner core temperature up to at least 80F degrees, they won't eat.

2. What are you offering as food? Russian tortoises eat broad-leaf weeds and plants, a little grass, but not much. Buy some of the packaged salad greens like Rocket, frizzee, etc. see if he'll eat that. See if you can find some edible weeds clean of pesticides from outside.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They can go for ages without food, but not without water.So soak every day to make sure that tort stays hydrated...which will help with pooping too. Personally, I find putting Joe in the car to take him to the vet guarantees a poop on the journey!

Last edited:

Louisa Rudland

Haha through all the worrying that post made me smile!
Been giving regular soaks and keeping her hydrated
Thanks everyone!