FINALLY proved it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Billy has worms and I FINALLY was able to get a good stool sample FULL of them to the vet. Hookworm. Blech. So he's on Panacur now but the little devil wouldn't open his mouth for me, so as he was eating, I'd squirt a little bit on the leaf he was nibbling on until he ate it, until all the meds were down. Hope this is an okay way to do it. Hopefully he'll be feeling better in no time!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Oh and while I was at the vet, I looked in Petsmart, they had two more Russians. I am SOOOOO FRUSTRATED with them because I told them that they are carrying WC... and now the two they have there are WC AND very sick. They are both very underweight, and when I held them and pet their heads, they didn't even open their eyes. One of them had watery eyes. They lady was like, "Oh these guys are healthy". NO THEY ARE NOT!!!

I talked to the vet, they share a building with Petsmart, and told them I can tell them a million times those are sick wild torts and they won't listen, the vet there needs to really get on them about it. She said she'd talk to the manager, but who knows if that's true.

It's just WRONG that they are asking $90 for a sick WC tort that will either cost that amount in vet bills, or die soon.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Yup get the meds down any way you can ;) That really sucks about the WC Russians. Its really a shame they dont care what they sell and whether or not its sick. :(

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
glad you were able to get a good stool sample from Billy and now treatment. Just like AJ said you're doing fine giving the med that way...Billy is very lucky to have you as his mommy.

I hate Petsmart ...when it comes to torts they are SOOOO stupid.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi Kelly,
Just curious about how they dosed your Billy for Panacur. I have read so many different versions, and the majority says 50mg/kg once a week for 4 weeks. Is that about what they gave you? (Kg is the weight in lbs, divided by 2.2) Nadine

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
hmmm... he's 1 lb. they told me .25 cc daily for four days. then in three weeks, do it again. he was a chipper little monkey this afternoon, which is a BIG change for him! so yaaaaaaay!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
umm. Well, that's curious. The way you dose dogs is once daily for three days then repeat in 3 weeks. Anyway I guess there are so many different ways to worm. It will be neat to see when you repeat the stool wether it's negative. Now do you have 3.5 Russians? and are you dosing them all? That's so cool you already notice a difference!
I had a turtle Dr friend (Dr. Barbara Bonner)that did years and years of studies and found most of the fatalities in pet turtles is the parasites not being treated. Good for you(and Billy!) Na

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Nope I am not dosing them all. Billy, the one with worms, is a newer addition to the family, and he's still on quarantine so the others have had no exposure to him. The others all all very healthy, thankfully! Billy's been questionable this whole time, so hopefully this will be the cure he needs!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Congrats on finding out what was ailing Billy.
Your such a good mom. Glad to hear he is doing better.

reptileeats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Alabama
I offered my locale Petsmart free food to stop giving their torts frozen veggies. They said they had to feed the frozen vegetables from Walmart because it was company policy. After the holidays I'm going to go to their corporate office and see if I can't get them to give there animals fresh food.

If you offer your torts pumpkin, it has natural worming properties. I offer it in my mixes as much as possible.

I also use ParaZap for my reptiles. It's natural so there is no worry of giving too much. You can make a tea with it or just sprinkle over food.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
canned pure pumpkin is, not the pumpkin pie mix :)

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Okay...I am trying to get a 'good' sample as well.
Any tips?
Our guy is famous for going as he is walking and then walking through everything as he is urnating which I would think is not as reliable a sample?

Congrats on him feeling better:D

Status
Not open for further replies.