Is a 4 x 8 foot vivarium good for a horsefield/russian tortoise?

lenright77

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
Hi! I'm new to this forum and I'm an owner of a 2 year old Horsfield / Russian tortoise named Pepe. I first got my tortoise from a trusted seller here in Ireland about a year ago and I was recommended a 4x8 foot vivarium for as it it a lot easier to control the temperature (especially when they are hatchlings). I thought with that, combined with a bigger outside enclosure for the summer months would do the trick, but I can't seem to find reliable information on if we will need to size up when he gets older or if the 4x8 will do him for life. I would love to get some feedback on the matter, thank you!?????

Last edited:

lenright77

Ireland
Hi! I'm new to this forum and I'm an owner of a 2 year old Horsfield / Russian tortoise named Pepe. I first got my tortoise from a trusted seller here in Ireland about a year ago and I was recommended a 4x8 foot vivarium for as it it a lot easier to control the temperature (especially when they are hatchlings). I thought that, combined with a bigger outside enclosure for the summer months would do the trick, but I can't seem to find reliable information on if we will need to size up when he gets older or if the 4x8 will do him for life. I would love to get some feedback on the matter, thank you!

I would like to add that the viv has ventilation holes in the back

lenright77

Ireland
4x8 will be good for him for life
Okay, that's great to hear. I'm always conscious about having the right living conditions for my little fecker. I may or may not switch to something bigger when I move out anyways. Cheers

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree, 4x8 will be fine for the indoor enclosure for an adult. Perfectly fine if you want to go larger. Better to go larger outside when possible.

lenright77

Ireland
I agree, 4x8 will be fine for the indoor enclosure for an adult. Perfectly fine if you want to go larger. Better to go larger outside when possible.
Okay thanks. Much appreciated. We're actually building him an outside enclosure soon. My back garden is all patio though so It will need to be a bigger table of some sort. Any advice?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Okay thanks. Much appreciated. We're actually building him an outside enclosure soon. My back garden is all patio though so It will need to be a bigger table of some sort. Any advice?
Welcome to the forum. There are lots of examples of people working outside with what they've got even when not a lot, & lots of them in the UK, some in Ireland & Scotland. I'm sure one will chime in soon.