Russian Hatchling Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoofWolf

5 Year Member
Petunia laid 2 eggs a while back, and this week -- just over 8 weeks after being popped into a Hovabator -- they both hatched. Incubated at 31.6 c, so hopefully females.

I've never tried to incubate eggs before, and so this is my first experience with hatchlings. Question: At what age/size is it safe to put the babies in with the grownups? Will the adults intentionally harm/attack them? I'd like the babies to have the benefit of my tortoise table, but don't want them to get hurt. They're still in the incubator right now, until the yolk sacks are absorbed.

One baby started nibbling on lettuce 2 days after hatching. The other hasn't become interested yet.

I'll appreciate any advice on this specific issue, and on hatchling care in general.

Many thanks.

WW

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It is gonna be awhile, they need to be about the same size, maybe within an inch or two, remember they are not gonna care that they are their kids, they will only see them as competition for food and the like.

WoofWolf

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
It is gonna be awhile, they need to be about the same size, maybe within an inch or two, remember they are not gonna care that they are their kids, they will only see them as competition for food and the like.

Thank you for the helpful response. Would it make any difference if I were to sew teeny-weeny name tags into their clothes so that their parents can identify them more easily? Ah, well... I'll cordon off an area for them on the tortoise table. Thanks again. - WW
P.S. ... and I would never accuse you of making a scene, Sir...

Status
Not open for further replies.