Introducing our newest addition: Baby#1 from Egg#2~

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Prepare for some extreme cuteness.... my first RT baby hatched this evening, after just 64 days of incubation! I have been checking the incubator 1x per day with a flashlight, and when I shone it through the little window today, this is what I saw. :)

DSC_6232+-+Copy.JPG

Baby #1 from Egg#2 hatched! Eek!

I carefully opened the incubator and took baby and its egg out. She has 4 legs, 1 tail, 2 eyes, 2 nares... and several extra scutes - a unique baby! (I incubated at 89 degrees, which should temp-sex for female... this also sometimes results in extra scutes, which don't harm the tortoise at all)

DSC_6234+-+Copy.JPG

I carefully weighed her on my postage scale - 14g of cuteness.

DSC_6236+-+Copy.JPG

Bright eyed and wriggly!

DSC_6237+-+Copy.JPG

I placed her and her egg back into the incubator in a small plastic container with a wet paper towel. Her yolk sac is already absorbed, she just has the little belly-button scar. I will put some fresh greens in there for her tomorrow, just in case she is hungry, but will let her rest otherwise.

I have 2 more eggs from the same clutch that look fertile and could hatch any day now... plus 3 more eggs from the clutch my Timmy laid 2 weeks later!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It is hard to imagine that my lRussian tortoise Yurik started out that small however many years, or decades :), ago. Absolutely adorable!

Flipper

MO, USA
Precious babies :<3:

I adore the pics of folded up hatchlings in their shells still :D

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
In the meantime, eggs #3 and 4 have hatched, and eggs #5 and 6 pipped today. Progress is being made, but they are taking their time. Patiently (*cough*) stalking them through the window in the incubator. Pics of all 6 babies to come tomorrow, I hope!