RT stays in burrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

5 Year Member
This will be the first spring/summer with my RT Greta... She is now outside 24/7. She loves her burrow! I notice that she doesn't come out of it often. I place her food outside of it and she will eat that but goes right back in. The burrow does face south so I do notice her hanging right inside the entrance ( I attached a pic) in the sun, but not a lot. When I am home during the day I take her out of her enclosure and let her roam the backyard. She is so funny, because right around 5:00 she is tries to climb back into her enclosure so she can get in that damn burrow! So my question... Finally right? Does she need more sun? I live in Az. So we are in high 90's already. Is she depressed?

image-894512465.png

Oops... Didn't mean to say d... burrow. Hope I didn't offend anyone!

Niki

5 Year Member
I actually do have plants... They are on other side. But I did just buy some lavender and rosemary.. So was going to plant those buy entrance.

image-1949055372.png

This is looking from her burrow... I will add those other plants around the entrance to burrow. Thanks!

Laura said:
i think its too exposed and you need more cover.. put some pants and provide more hiding areas.

As I look at her enclosure she does need more hiding places. Need larger shrubs.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
A burrow serves multiple roles...hide when too cold...hide in when too much rain or crazy wind...hide when too hot...hide when want to sleep....hide in for security for night hours...so it is a place that they can spend alot of time in...

The hide that you have is very cool for outside.....if you want to plant shade shrubs that is good as well....you can also stack rocks around the entrance...you can lay palm fans over the top as well that can allow some hiding of the entrance...

The master CDT burrower here will come out in the am for a while then retreat to the bowl of the entrance and will sun there for a while and then disappear into his burrow for most of the day then comes on out early evening to warm himself and munch and walk abit then back down into the earth until am....here is where he holds up in...

Niki

5 Year Member
ascott said:
A burrow serves multiple roles...hide when too cold...hide in when too much rain or crazy wind...hide when too hot...hide when want to sleep....hide in for security for night hours...so it is a place that they can spend alot of time in...

The hide that you have is very cool for outside.....if you want to plant shade shrubs that is good as well....you can also stack rocks around the entrance...you can lay palm fans over the top as well that can allow some hiding of the entrance...

The master CDT burrower here will come out in the am for a while then retreat to the bowl of the entrance and will sun there for a while and then disappear into his burrow for most of the day then comes on out early evening to warm himself and munch and walk abit then back down into the earth until am....here is where he holds up in...

Thanks... I really like the palm frawn and rock idea.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
He actually sounds pretty healthy. It's nice when they can choose to do what they want. Sometimes it is endless burrowing, then next week they pace. But if he is eating, and seems hydrated, etc., then he may just be playing it safe, and also staying cool.

Niki

5 Year Member
She seems healthy... Eats really well, looks good. I soak her 2x a week. I try not to mess with her and let her do her thing... I just miss seeing her when she hides out in burrow!

ascott said:

Is that burrow underground? I like it... If it rains does water get in much?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, that burrow was dug out by the little digger sitting in it...the burrow goes down 6+ feet and a bit of a bowl in the bottom (last time I was able to check) when it rains water does go into the entrance a couple of inches but does not "fill" it--not worried so much for summer months because he is awake and can climb out if he needed to...however, the prior three winters here (not the one just ending this year) produced such freezing temps and heavy flooding rain I no longer feel comfortable brumating them outdoors...so they have full access to their outdoor yards all seasons but around the start to middle of October I will close the burrow entrance as I do not want him retreating on me for winter in the event we get 6 days of non stop rain again...he has another above ground dome hide that he uses also...:p

Status
Not open for further replies.