Hibernation for russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

5 Year Member
I have an approximately 5 yr old Russian tort named Greta. I live in Scottsdale, Az where the temps are now in the low 60's at night and 90's during the day. Greta lives in an outdoor enclosure that has a burrow I dug for her. During the really hot summer she rarely left her burrow. Now that the weather is cooler... She is coming out a lot more. My question... What do I do when the temps get cold? Last year a vet had me hibernate her in my garage in a box. The temperature in there was always around 66. That seems warm. Do I just let her dig her own hole and hibernate in her burrow, outside? Will she do that on her own? Thanks!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I'm going to follow along as I too am currently inquiring about this. So far I have been told they will dig their own burrow and hibernate themselves, as long as they are healthy.
Looking forward to what others say. ;)

Niki

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
I'm going to follow along as I too am currently inquiring about this. So far I have been told they will dig their own burrow and hibernate themselves, as long as they are healthy.
Looking forward to what others say. ;)

Yes... I am hoping this is what the experts will say. It would be so easy to let her do her own "thing" :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Just keep in mind....

Cold and wet= ailing tort, so not good

Cold and dry=acceptable for this species of tort to dig in and brumate

Wet and warm---oh , this would be summer--so all good (as long as a dry out place is also available..

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
if you have a "house" type thing over where they bury to hibernate, this would keep their area dry during colder or rainy days of winter. is that what you mean when you say...
ascott said:
Cold and dry=acceptable for this species of tort to dig in and brumate

nicolam38

5 Year Member
Niki said:
I have an approximately 5 yr old Russian tort named Greta. I live in Scottsdale, Az where the temps are now in the low 60's at night and 90's during the day. Greta lives in an outdoor enclosure that has a burrow I dug for her. During the really hot summer she rarely left her burrow. Now that the weather is cooler... She is coming out a lot more. My question... What do I do when the temps get cold? Last year a vet had me hibernate her in my garage in a box. The temperature in there was always around 66. That seems warm. Do I just let her dig her own hole and hibernate in her burrow, outside? Will she do that on her own? Thanks!

I am also struggling with hibernation issues,I have not fed my 3 year old tortoise for 2 days now,I have turned her uv light off and am leaving her cage open a little bit to cool her down,she is going mad trying to climb up the sides of her vivarium,am I doin something wrong,,please

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Niki said:

66 degrees is absolutely much too warm for any species of tortoises to brumate (hibernate)! For temperate climate species such as Russians temperatures in the 60's are still normal activity levels. A temperate climate tortoise is not going to begin brumation until the daytime and night time temperatures are consistently below 50 degrees. It actually has to get colder than that for them to truly become inactive, closer to 40 degrees. Temperatures warmer than that or temperatures that fluctuate up and down greatly will cause the tortoise to be to active and burn crucial calories. They either need to be kept awake with acceptable activity level temperatures, light duration and intensity or at temperatures that of 42 max down to as low as 36 degrees consistently to truly brumate. At these temperatures their bodily functions (breathing & heartbeat) greatly decrease allowing them to conserve body fat and hydration to survive brumation.
If brumation is attempted at temperatures in the 50's & 60's a tortoise will be semi-active and burning calories but will not have the benefit of temperatures warm enough to support it's still functioning body. To do so is to put the tortoise's health and life at risk. It must either be truly brumating or fully awake and active.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Excellent post gb. Very clearly put. Here in Sacramento mine are only just now getting ready to go down. All except one are still coming out and roaming around during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.