Romaine Lettuce - multi state E. coli outbreak

Janet_1117

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Fe, Tx
I’ve been giving my little Janet romaine lettuce. Is it safe or throw it out?! I’ve been giving grass clippings, rose and hibiscus leaves also. But the first day it was mostly romaine...[emoji19]

https://fxn.ws/2S6xexk

Attachments

• IMG_6192.jpg
    IMG_6192.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 30

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Even though I have not been feeding any store bought food as of yet, that would be interesting to know. My weeds are getting really low!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
This is an issue of not growing it all yourself, y’all have no control that it’s “organic” when we have no control where others pee. To say the least …

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It looks like a big knee jerk reaction.
Apparently ALL romaine lettuce should be thrown out. At least not to be consumed by humans...
Strange that ALL romaine for sale EVERYWHERE would fall under the same fate. Certainly its romaine from one area or one processing plant that is the culprit.
I am assuming that it's still safe for tortoises? Mine eat anything. (I do mean anything). Salmonella would be a joke it seems for them.
But honestly I don't know if it would present a danger of not to them.

Janet_1117

Santa Fe, Tx
It wasn't until after I got my tortoise, I came across this page. And found out that weeds, leaves and grasses are a better diet then the romaine...I didn't intend on buying anymore but live and learn...