Romaine E. coli

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Grants Pass Oregon
since I am a relatively new Tortoise keeper I have a question about the E.coli outbreak in Romaine what does everyone do? Throw it out? Or still use it? Since the CDC says all Romaine including spring mix. I have lots of other choices to feed Sheldon but need to know how concerned should I be. Thank you

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
I'd throw it out.

I'm not familiar if E. Coli affects tortoises the same way as humans, but a couple dollars isn't worth a tortoise potentially getting sick.

Romaine isn't the best grocery store food anyway. I quote @Tom, "if you must use grocery store foods, favor endive and escarole as your staples. You need to mix in some grass, chopped soaked grass hay, soaked ZooMed Grassland pellets, and or some Mazuri to amend these types of greens. I would not use romaine very often or let it be a very large percentage of the diet. It lacks nutrition, fiber, calcium, and has a poor calcium to phosphorous ratio."

Best,

-Thomas S

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
In other venues some people have said in past similar warning they did not throw it out but used. They say they had both animals loss and feeder insect loss. High correlation, not proof with out analysis, but it seams reasonable to be cautious. If you have a compost bin that might be a good use.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In other venues some people have said in past similar warning they did not throw it out but used. They say they had both animals loss and feeder insect loss. High correlation, not proof with out analysis, but it seams reasonable to be cautious. If you have a compost bin that might be a good use.
This is news I've never heard before.
I used up all of it that I had.
Both on my tortoises and my Koi.
No issues. So it was just luck?

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Thank you all for your replies, thankfully Romaine is not a main staple but part of his varied diet. I will say if endive and radicchio where affected I would be in trouble! As that is his favorite. We will be throwing the Romaine out not worth the health of our little guy :tort::)

akacurrie

Santee, CA
Do I need to throw out the romaine lettuce I purchased two days ago due to the E. coli outbreak or can I feed my sulcata tortoise the lettuce?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Do I need to throw out the romaine lettuce I purchased two days ago due to the E. coli outbreak or can I feed my sulcata tortoise the lettuce?
Don't feed it, not worth the possible risk.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
why throw it? just dont eat it raw.
stir fry it with some soy sauce and garlic . tastes great
OK, stir fried E-coli coming up for Thanksgiving! LOL. No, thanks, but if cooking destroys it, why not?