Rocks?

Bear2023

Location (City and/or State)
USA Oklahoma
The other day a added some more rocks to my box turtle's cage. Today I put some food next to the rocks, and she sniffed it like she was going to eat it, but instead she turned around and ate to rock! I this okay? I looked it up online, and it said "Turtles may swallow coarse soils such as sand for the same reasons they ingest small stones, i.e., for grinding tough foods, for controlling internal parasites, and as a source of minerals." Should I change something in her diet? Thank you in advance!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The other day a added some more rocks to my box turtle's cage. Today I put some food next to the rocks, and she sniffed it like she was going to eat it, but instead she turned around and ate to rock! I this okay? I looked it up online, and it said "Turtles may swallow coarse soils such as sand for the same reasons they ingest small stones, i.e., for grinding tough foods, for controlling internal parasites, and as a source of minerals." Should I change something in her diet? Thank you in advance!
Not okay, and there should be no rocks small enough to swallow in the enclosure.

What do you feed your turtle? This rock eating behavior is usually seen when the diet is high in grocery store produce, lacking fiber, or when there is a mineral imbalance. Do you use a calcium supplement? How much and how often?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
As was said, you definitely want to remove any and all foreign objects that can fit in their mouth

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I have low coaster size rocks but I scrubbed them all first. I suspect it was testing it with it's beak. Add a cuttle fish bone into the enc as it may want calcium and leave in 24x7 and it will get pecked at over time. My tort likes the warmth of rocks, sitting on the rocks and resting his neck on the rock whilst basking. A great and beneficial addition to the enclosure. If your rock chips off then switch to a more solid low large rock.

Last edited:

Bear2023

USA Oklahoma
Not okay, and there should be no rocks small enough to swallow in the enclosure.

What do you feed your turtle? This rock eating behavior is usually seen when the diet is high in grocery store produce, lacking fiber, or when there is a mineral imbalance. Do you use a calcium supplement? How much and how often?

She was just biting at it, like she was trying to eat it, but it wasn’t big enough to fit in her mouth. Idk if she actually got any of it, but I thought I would just ask. She will eat romaine lettuce, carrots (sometimes), earth worms, and other insects. Along with weeds and grasses (that I look up on the tort table). I give her calcium powder one a week or less. Thank you! (I will definitely get her a cuttlefish bone!)

Bear2023

USA Oklahoma

Would this work?

Penn-Plax 2-in-1 E-Cuttlebone & Mineral Block for Birds – Berry Flavor – 1 Pack
https://www.walmart.com/ip/106679146
https://www.walmart.com/ip/106679146

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do I need to change her diet?
What you are offering is pretty good. More variety. Just a little bit of fruit. No grass, unless you are using it for fiber. Be sure to grate up carrots, pumpkin or squashes with a cheese grater. Some occasional canned cat or dog food mixed in with chopped greens, grated carrot, and other goodies is a nice addition.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have low coaster size rocks but I scrubbed them all first. I suspect it was testing it with it's beak. Add a cuttle fish bone into the enc as it may want calcium and leave in 24x7 and it will get pecked at over time. My tort likes the warmth of rocks, sitting on the rocks and resting his neck on the rock whilst basking. A great and beneficial addition to the enclosure. If your rock chips off then switch to a more solid low large rock.
My south Florida yard is full of rocks that are almost entirely made of coral. If I get sloppy and not make sure that there are a few cuttlebones laying around in my enclosures, my tortoises will begin eating rocks.
Their bodies tell them when they're lacking in minerals and they'll try to compensate for it.
As much as I rake them up and pick them up, there are always a hundred more rocks. So cuttlebone is important.